You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

What happened to the Beta forums?

I think it indicates only that there are no current beta programs active, so there is no need for beta forums right now. And probably the old ones were archived as they're no longer relevant and could be confusing.

Serif have said we can expect a beta for 2.1, so we'll probably see a new set of beta forums when that begins.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I think it indicates only that there are no current beta programs active, so there is no need for beta forums right now....

Perhaps you are correct, but I thought it odd that they eliminated one or two levels of the Beta forum hierarchy that would normally not need to change for 2.1. For example, the "Affinity Designer Beta Forums" section is gone, as are its three sub-forums beneath for Windows, macOS, and iPad. 

1 minute ago, Corgi said:

For example, the "Affinity Designer Beta Forums" section is gone, as are its three sub-forums beneath for Windows, macOS, and iPad. 

Any new forums would need to be for Designer 2, though. So the old ones are totally unneeded.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

1 minute ago, walt.farrell said:

Any new forums would need to be for Designer 2, though. So the old ones are totally unneeded.

Sorry, I mean Designer 2. It's gone, as are Photo 2 and Publisher 2. There are only archived forums at this moment.

image.png.39670644c13d3466a0ee3dd97bdccc7b.png

There was a recent "cleanup".
For more info see the "off topic" part of this thread: 

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

3 minutes ago, loukash said:

There was a recent "cleanup".
For more info see the "off topic" part of this thread: 

Not sure what part of that thread is relevant, but I might have missed it.

The point I'm trying to make is that levels of the forum hierarchy (which wouldn't need to disappear if there are going to be further v2 betas) have indeed disappeared. For example, the 2.0.4 stuff could be archived without deleting the entire Affinity Designer Beta Forums tree.

Just looking to see if someone from Serif explains.

13 minutes ago, Corgi said:

The point I'm trying to make is that levels of the forum hierarchy (which wouldn't need to disappear if there are going to be further v2 betas) have indeed disappeared. For example, the 2.0.4 stuff could be archived without deleting the entire Affinity Designer Beta Forums tree.

The old beta forums dated from about 5 years ago, and were mainly V1 beta information but also had V2 information from before 2.0.4. It was probably easier to simply archive it all, rather than trying to split out posts relevant to V2 and keep them visible while archiving the older stuff.

-- Walt
PC:

3 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

The old beta forums dated from about 5 years ago, and were mainly V1 beta information but also had V2 information from before 2.0.4. It was probably easier to simply archive it all, rather than trying to split out posts relevant to V2 and keep them visible while archiving the older stuff.

It seems people aren't understanding my question, because this doesn't really cover what I'm asking.

If I had to guess, it would be that they might restructure the whole thing. Instead of the three top forums being Designer/Photo/Publisher, there will be only two top-level forums: v2 and [Archived]. Then the original three top-level forums will appear under v2.

This isn't really an important topic. I was just concerned. There was no beta for 2.0.4, and Serif would have avoided some big problems if they'd had a Beta for v2.0.0. Betas are super-valuable.

59 minutes ago, Corgi said:

Not sure what part of that thread is relevant

Um… for a start, try the posts where we've talked about posts in the beta forums;) 

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

• Staff
18 hours ago, Corgi said:

...or is this just a forum restructuring in progress?

Yes, this. We're reorganising what the beta forums look like and how they operate. 

Very shortly there will be new some beta forums appearing in there, thanks for your patience. Also... its quite exciting news, but...... no spoilers

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff
6 minutes ago, N.P.M. said:

Hope more then those 10 things on the list😉

😅 Yes, the list has been added to quite a bit since you saw it....

That was a W.I.P, N.P.M.

I hid it better now :11_blush:

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

4 minutes ago, Murfee said:

a scale of 1-10 (1 being today)

First you need to define what's "10": 10 days? 10 weeks? 10 years…? :D 

• Staff

but unless you specify if 10 is measured in days, weeks or months from 1 this does not really help (unless the answer happened to be 1)

[thread moved to the questions forum, with a trailing link]

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

2 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

Yes, this. We're reorganising what the beta forums look like and how they operate. 

Very shortly there will be new some beta forums appearing in there, thanks for your patience. Also... its quite exciting news, but...... no spoilers

Thank you, Patrick. This is what I'd been presuming, as it didn't seem likely that it was routine preparation for a 2.1 Beta.

1 hour ago, GenewalDesign said:

What can we expect from a 2.1 Beta?

I, for one, expect nothing less but bug fixes in a three-digit range.
Serif, please do not disappoint me! ;) 

• Staff
51 minutes ago, GenewalDesign said:

What can we expect from a 2.1 Beta? 😁

Well perhaps manage your expectations 😉

There's been 12 weeks of development time since 2.0 launch and 2 of those were Christmas/New Year and 2-3 were doing 2.0.3 and 2.0.4 updates so that list would be quite the achievement in a short time, but this is just the start of a 2.x cycle so it's time to tell our audience what they bought into. With no updates for 1.10 for a year and no new features for even longer we have lots of newish users who don't really know us as a company or know that they have bought into a product with free updates with features and improvement. It's been a while and we're excited, but please remember 2.1 is the START of that journey 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

• Staff
3 minutes ago, loukash said:

I for one, expect nothing less but bug fixes in a three-digit range.

Well writing a fix list that long (in a customer readable format) takes ages but suffice to say the fix list it is more than 100 reports already. Well certainly announce all the popular ones, but for some we may say “and other stability and usability fixes”, because it's quite difficult to be explicit about some fixes without full recipes or customer documents.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd