You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Vector Flood Fill

I wasn’t using designer iPad for comics because the coloring became a tedious work. But this tool, this amazing tool by itself has change my world completely.

See my comics: dearmascomics.com

Heard my Radio Show: mimegaradio.com

Ask for my services: albertkinng.com

On 2/23/2023 at 9:33 AM, Sean P said:

Hi ,,,

I believe this is intentional - It allows you to retain the 'look' of what you're filling.

For example if I have a series of overlapping rectangles with a stroke and no fill, I can see each stroke overlapping the other objects:

image.png

If I select all of those shapes and fill a region it is placed at the bottom of the layer stack. This allows all the strokes to retain their thickness:
image.png

If I move that fill to below the object the strokes above begin to get lose their thickness due to layer ordering:

image.png

I should have provided an example to avoid the misunderstanding. You selected all objects in the document for the vector flood fill. That does not test the situation I described, which had objects behind the selected ones, and the generated fills were placed at the very back of everything instead of just behind the hindmost selected object.

Anyway, my problem was in the first 2.1 beta.

The current (second) beta behaves as I wanted and initially expected, and so the developers must have considered the unwanted behaviour I witnessed to be a bug. Now the generated fills are placed just behind the hindmost selected object.

30 minutes ago, gw_westdale said:

I don't understand the second sentence?

I'm not sure either but maybe what @gitotio is trying to ask is whether he can fill in the area with open paths. Like, the fill area would somehow self-close after filling in between open paths.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

.... but more simply, if one needs the separate yellow piece,  I would just right click the end of the open curve and close it as long as there is no reason to keep it open ;-).....

Untitled2.png

Win 11 PCs 64bit  Envy and Envy tablet + Filter Forge  Retired computer systems tester doing graphics for charities and politics etc.

18 minutes ago, gw_westdale said:

.... but more simply, if one needs the separate yellow piece,  I would just right click the end of the open curve and close it as long as there is no reason to keep it open ;-).....

Untitled2.png

You could simply answer "No".  He was asking about it to close and fill this gap automatically. And it doesn't work so far. The fill tool is based on Shape Builder tool. But I believe they can reach it somehow.

😎

I gave in and joined the beta to test out the Vector Fill Tool (but also very happy to see Brushes finally have their names displayed underneath AND don't get deselected when I modify them on the go)

So the drawing on the left was made in 2.0 with filled in shapes. For the drawing on the right I started off with vector lineart and then used the Vector Fill Tool with a couple of adjustments.

50068969_Screenshot2023-03-01194805.thumb.png.540fd66957b5af8f68b421de4704e413.png

However, I had to convert the lineart into shapes for the Vector Fill tool to properly work. I later figured out it was because most lines didn't overlap so it didn't identify any space to fill in.

Would it be possible to include a tolerance slider for cases where the lines are very close but not quite overlapping? Or is that not possible?

2 hours ago, MunchkinWorks said:

Would it be possible to include a tolerance slider for cases where the lines are very close but not quite overlapping? Or is that not possible?

That would really bring the Vector Flood tool to the next level.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

4 hours ago, MunchkinWorks said:

I had to convert the lineart into shapes for the Vector Fill tool to properly work.

Happens to me too. I can live with this limitation but if they can fix that, it will be great for illustrators like us!

See my comics: dearmascomics.com

Heard my Radio Show: mimegaradio.com

Ask for my services: albertkinng.com

• Staff
5 hours ago, MunchkinWorks said:

A gap tolerance is on our wish list for this feature, but is unlikely to be available in its first release in 2.1. As you've said expanding strokes can help with some use cases, but isn't the ideal solution for sure.

Managing Director

Help make our apps better by joining our beta program!

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) / Apple M1 Max / 64GB / macOS 12.0.1

iPad Pro 11-inch 3rd Gen / iPadOS 16.2

hi been playing with this  and I'm not sure why but I cant get the bitmap fills to work with the  vector flood fill every time i try the whole thing fills not the desired area.  I select everything then select the vector fill tool then drag a bitmap from my assets panel to the active colour on the toolbar just like in the video but the whole thing fills not sure if i'm doing something wrong or what is wrong I have attached my file and the assets file 

These wood fills are my own designs they are procedural textures created in filter forge 

my wood assets.afassets vector flood fill wood fills.afdesign

Same issue.....  beta 1714 ... perhaps I am missing something from the video.
Place a bitmap that i can use for the test.
Drag it into assets to create a bitmap asset and delete the placed item for clarity.
Select overlapping  shapes that worked well with vector fill and colours in a previous test.
Select the vector fill tool.
Drag the bitmap image from assets to the fill icon at the bottom of the tools panel.
All the shapes ( even an open curve) fill with the bitmap immediately.

Advice welcome.

Win 11 PCs 64bit  Envy and Envy tablet + Filter Forge  Retired computer systems tester doing graphics for charities and politics etc.

• Staff
37 minutes ago, gw_westdale said:

Same issue.....  beta 1714 ... perhaps I am missing something from the video.
Place a bitmap that i can use for the test.
Drag it into assets to create a bitmap asset and delete the placed item for clarity.
Select overlapping  shapes that worked well with vector fill and colours in a previous test.
Select the vector fill tool.
Drag the bitmap image from assets to the fill icon at the bottom of the tools panel.
All the shapes ( even an open curve) fill with the bitmap immediately.

Advice welcome.

4 hours ago, Frances Proctor said:

hi been playing with this  and I'm not sure why but I cant get the bitmap fills to work with the  vector flood fill every time i try the whole thing fills not the desired area.  I select everything then select the vector fill tool then drag a bitmap from my assets panel to the active colour on the toolbar just like in the video but the whole thing fills not sure if i'm doing something wrong or what is wrong I have attached my file and the assets file 

These wood fills are my own designs they are procedural textures created in filter forge 

my wood assets.afassets 7.33 MB · 6 downloads vector flood fill wood fills.afdesign

Thank you both for this - it appears this has regressed since 2.1.0.9, and is switching to the Move Tool when you move outside of the Assets Panel, so you can never load the colour well up.

I'll get this logged! 

Thanks for letting us know :)

EDIT: I think its something specific to the objects used so I need to poke this a little more first

EDIT 2: It appears on Windows that whenever you leave the Asset Panel, it automatically switches to the Move Tool as described above. This makes it impossible to use in the way shown. 

On macOS it does work, but can only be dragged to the Swatch on the Tools Panel on the left. It cannot be dragged to the Colour Panel swatch as it will then switch to the Move Tool as it thinks you're trying to place it onto the document. 

I'll get it logged, but I suspect dragging to the Colour Panel might be more problematic - we shall see!

2 hours ago, Sean P said:

On macOS it does work, but can only be dragged to the Swatch on the Tools Panel on the left. It cannot be dragged to the Colour Panel swatch as it will then switch to the Move Tool as it thinks you're trying to place it onto the document. 

<pedantic>On macOS, you can drag from Assets Panel to Colour Panel, as long as you take a route that avoids the document view</pedantic>

Yes. In this Beta version, it is not possible to fill e.g. a protocol with a Bitmap fill by dragging a bitmap from Assets to the fill icon in the tool panel and color panel.
This works with vector graphics in the Assets panel, but not bitmaps, and I believe it worked in an earlier Beta version.

9 hours ago, GRAFKOM said:

This works with vector graphics in the Assets panel, but not bitmaps,

I find that in 1714 Windows , using a small group of vector shapes as an asset has the same problem as bitmap - - it fills all the shapes,

Clipboard01.jpg

Yes. I confirm.
In the new Windows11 Affinity Beta, you cannot use the Vector Flood Fill tool by dragging from the Assets panel to the fill icon in the tool panel to fill graphics.
As you move an Assets object, the Vector Flood tool's fill icon automatically changes to a Stroke fill and color icon.
So the Vector Flood Fill tool automatically turns off.
Mistake.