You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Measure tool now available in Photo and Publisher

• Staff

Apps: Photo and Publisher
Platforms: Windows and macOS

The measure tool which was added to Affinity Designer in V2 is now available in both Photo and Publisher. This is not included in the default set of tools when you first run up the app, but you will find it in the list if you go to View -> Customise Tools if you wish to add it to your available tools.

Managing Director

Help make our apps better by joining our beta program!

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) / Apple M1 Max / 64GB / macOS 12.0.1

iPad Pro 11-inch 3rd Gen / iPadOS 16.2

• 2 weeks later...

It would be nice all missing tools from Toolsbar to be included in it by default, otherwise how we (and new customers) could now if such a tool exist or not?

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

34 minutes ago, NNN said:

It would be nice all missing tools from Toolsbar to be included in it by default, otherwise how we (and new customers) could now if such a tool exist or not?

I would think this is not how it is supposed to be but rather due to the fact that we are in a beta process where things are not quite finished yet ;-)

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

35 minutes ago, NNN said:

Most likely they haven't had the time to add them in with default keybinds. Not the first time that a new tool has gotten added to the toolbar at a later date. Also, if you are already using a customised toolbar it will not appear, so there's that.

• Staff

I'm not sure the measure tool should be on the default toolbar for Photo. Arguably a useful default for Publisher, but surely only customizable/addable for Photo

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

24 minutes ago, artmischke said:

This would just make sense for Designer as I see no need in Photo for it. But the measurement tool could be so much more useful this way.

You and I may have no need for it in Photo, but it could be useful to some people! If it’s created as an editable object, it will be easy to hide or delete it (or set a general preference for it not to appear) where it’s unwanted.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

If we do it, it will just be an option to whether you want to convert the measurement to an object or something along those lines. And should say to set expectations this will not be what could be considered a full dynamic dimension tool or anything, but clearly the convenience of just leaving the measurement on document would be welcomed.

Out of interest one use case we are aware of are some universities using Photo to edit / enhance imagery taken by microscopes. The measure tool is going to be very useful for them, as once scale is set then can us to take measurements - which might be parts of an insect, or down to distance between individual cells in some tissue. But yes use cases are less in photo which is why we are not including the tool in the toolbar by default.

Managing Director

Help make our apps better by joining our beta program!

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) / Apple M1 Max / 64GB / macOS 12.0.1

iPad Pro 11-inch 3rd Gen / iPadOS 16.2

On 2/17/2023 at 12:43 PM, Ash said:

If we do it, it will just be an option to whether you want to convert the measurement to an object or something along those lines. And should say to set expectations this will not be what could be considered a full dynamic dimension tool or anything, but clearly the convenience of just leaving the measurement on document would be welcomed.

Out of interest one use case we are aware of are some universities using Photo to edit / enhance imagery taken by microscopes. The measure tool is going to be very useful for them, as once scale is set then can us to take measurements - which might be parts of an insect, or down to distance between individual cells in some tissue. But yes use cases are less in photo which is why we are not including the tool in the toolbar by default.

It’s also useful for UI work, calling out dimensions in px, or for gis measuring miles/km on sat astro/photos, etc. Units should be user defined, not only digital/print units 

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

beta 2.1.0.1706

Good so far! Any reason why only the distance tool is available ? Can't find the area tool in Publisher or Photo (as with Designer).

image.png.0bf92f643ea6851721744911d61eeea0.pngimage.png.a402238f0c02f2301937b2325304c580.pngimage.png.b5fb7fffc0782443dfce0787600b8504.png

Hardware: Windows 11 Pro (23H2, build 22631.3296, Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22687.1000.0), Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-14900K @3.20 GHz, 64 GB RAM, NVIDIA RTX A4000 (16GB VRAM, driver 551.61), 1TB + 2TB SSD. 1 Display set to native 2560 x 1440.
Software: Affinity v1 - Designer/Publisher/Photo (1.10.6.1665), Affinity v2 (universal license) - Designer/Publisher/Photo, v2 betas.

• 10 months later...
29 minutes ago, Lilaeb7 said:

How do I find the measure tool on Affinity Photo 2 on the IPad please?

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

If you look at the first post of this topic it says:

Platforms: Windows and macOS

It is not available on iPadOS, yet, as far as I know.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1