You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Paste inside picture frame

• Staff

Apps: Publisher
Platforms: Windows, macOS and iPad

With a picture frame selected, pasting inside will now insert your clipboard contents to be held within the picture frame rather than being clipped by it. Also if you have your insertion target set to inside and you paste normally with a picture frame selected the same will happen.

Managing Director

Help make our apps better by joining our beta program!

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) / Apple M1 Max / 64GB / macOS 12.0.1

iPad Pro 11-inch 3rd Gen / iPadOS 16.2

• 1 month later...

I'm finding the same as @mykee, unless I have Insert inside the selection.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

• Staff
16 hours ago, mykee said:

I must be doing something wrong, because I created a Picture frame in Publisher, then pressed CTRL+V to insert the clipboard image, but it pasted it over a new layer, not inside the Picture Frame.

You need to do Paste Inside (ctrl+alt+V) not just normal paste. Does that work?

Managing Director

Help make our apps better by joining our beta program!

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) / Apple M1 Max / 64GB / macOS 12.0.1

iPad Pro 11-inch 3rd Gen / iPadOS 16.2

16 hours ago, Ron P. said:

I'm finding the same as @mykee, unless I have Insert inside the selection.

Isn't that exactly how Ash described it in the first post? You need to use Paste Inside or set the insertion point inside.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 3 months later...
On 2/7/2023 at 10:22 AM, Ash said:

Apps: Publisher
Platforms: Windows, macOS and iPad

With a picture frame selected, pasting inside will now insert your clipboard contents to be held within the picture frame rather than being clipped by it. Also if you have your insertion target set to inside and you paste normally with a picture frame selected the same will happen.

No, it doesn't!   I must paste from Clipboard into a blank area (off Page), Copy the image again, THEN paste it into the frame -- watching that it does not become distorted in the process.  Per this forum, it is better to use the Layers palette to drag the Image into the Frame -- once pasted into publisher.

1 hour ago, tkarl__nn said:

No, it doesn't!   I must paste from Clipboard into a blank area (off Page), Copy the image again, THEN paste it into the frame -- watching that it does not become distorted in the process.  Per this forum, it is better to use the Layers palette to drag the Image into the Frame -- once pasted into publisher.

Yes it does, but you have to use Edit > Paste Inside. If you want to use Edit > Paste you need to first choose Layer > Insertion > Inside.

Cheers

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

My Publisher simply does_not_work_that_way!.   I've viewed your video about a dozen times now, and so, I thought I would try that.
Mine still does not work like you showed.  What I can decode from your video, is that, off screen, you copied my photo.  Then, you made sure a Publisher 2.1 "Picture Frame Rectangle" was selected, then you chose "Edit, Paste Inside", and 'poof', my photo appears.  I cannot do that. 

OK, I figured it out!!!!  You see, I was capturing ALL of my 'Images' using the "PrtScn" button on my PC.  This will Paste the Image into my PC's "Paint" Program, but ___NOT___ into a Publisher Frame!  If I perform a Screen Capture, most programs (?) seem to pick this up as a Clipboard Image; __NOT__ Publisher.  So, if I press "PrtScn", then Paste it into "Paint", then Copy the image in "Paint"; then go back into Publisher, THEN "Edit, Paste Inside", then I get the Image!  Without going through "Paint", the only option that will Paste directly into Publisher is the "Edit / Paste Without Format" option -- but that does not paste the image into a frame.   Then I copy that Image, in Publisher, then I can use "Edit / Paste Inside" as the video shows.  Are all you guys all using Mac Computers, or what?

I still seem to require the added steps when using the "PrtScn" key on my Windows PC.

2 hours ago, MikeTO said:

Yes it does, but you have to use Edit > Paste Inside. If you want to use Edit > Paste you need to first choose Layer > Insertion > Inside.

Cheers

OKI, even MORE issues!  I tried "Layer > Insertion > Inside".  It worked!  Once!!!!!!!  Apparently this Layer command resets to "Default" after ONE try! So every time I insert a picture, I need to do the layer-insertion-inside thing?   I think it's easier to paste the image onto a blank spot, copy it, then use the Edit command.

Still slightly confused by all of this.

I can confirm at least part of this issue on a Windows 10 laptop.

If I use the PrtSc key to get a full-screen screenshot and then, with a Picture Frame selected, press Ctrl+Alt+V, I don’t get anything inside the Picture Frame. Sometimes while trying this, Paste Inside is enabled in the menu and sometimes it’s not, but the paste never happens either way. (If I just paste as usual then I get the image as an Image Layer as would be expected, so the PrtSc function is actually working.)

However, if I use the Snipping Tool to get the screenshot, copy it to the clipboard, and then, with a Picture Frame selected, press Ctrl+Alt+V, Publisher puts the image inside the Picture Frame as expected.

Publisher seems to be treating the PrtSc-obtained image differently to the Snipping Tool-obtained image.

See attached video where, at the start, I use PrtSc (just after I wiggle the mouse pointer a bit) and nothing happens but I then use the Snipping Tool and something different happens.

Note: I have a dual-screen set-up which could ‘skew’ things slightly, I don’t know.

7 hours ago, tkarl__nn said:

I was capturing ALL of my 'Images' using the "PrtScn" button on my PC.

Ah, thanks for the extra info as I never use the PrtScrn button.
I use xnviewmp to make screenshots which I copy/paste into the affinities ,save somewhere or close the screenshot without saving. 

11 hours ago, tkarl__nn said:

Are all you guys all using Mac Computers, or what?

I still seem to require the added steps when using the "PrtScn" key on my Windows PC.

I'm on macOS. Based on yours and Garry's feedback there must be a Windows-specific issue with pasting inside certain types of clipboard data. I don't know enough about the Windows clipboard to guess why this might be.

10 hours ago, tkarl__nn said:

OKI, even MORE issues!  I tried "Layer > Insertion > Inside".  It worked!  Once!!!!!!!  Apparently this Layer command resets to "Default" after ONE try! So every time I insert a picture, I need to do the layer-insertion-inside thing?   I think it's easier to paste the image onto a blank spot, copy it, then use the Edit command.

That's the way it's supposed to work. There has been feedback from other users that they'd prefer for this option be sticky. Also note there's a convenient toolbar icon for this feature which is easier than picking it from Layers, it's the right of these three icons.

image.png.6b7957e7d65432d763e9b20d77c74537.png

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

13 hours ago, MikeTO said:

I'm on macOS. Based on yours and Garry's feedback there must be a Windows-specific issue with pasting inside certain types of clipboard data. I don't know enough about the Windows clipboard to guess why this might be.

That's the way it's supposed to work. There has been feedback from other users that they'd prefer for this option be sticky. Also note there's a convenient toolbar icon for this feature which is easier than picking it from Layers, it's the right of these three icons.

image.png.6b7957e7d65432d763e9b20d77c74537.png

Yes, this works, but needs to be clicked every time.  Using that plus the keyboard shortcut for pasting might just work for me.  (Looks like I totally missed this icon!)
I'll still await making this a "sticky" option.  (Then you'll need an 'unstick' icon too!)

Clipboard:  I do not know if there are 'different flavors' of the Windows Clipboard, but on my PC, my previous reporting stands.

16 hours ago, Return said:

Ah, thanks for the extra info as I never use the PrtScrn button.
I use xnviewmp to make screenshots which I copy/paste into the affinities ,save somewhere or close the screenshot without saving. 

How do you get your images INTO xnviewmp?  Is there a command in it to "Capture the Screen"?

To "Return":  With xnviewmp, I was able to set it up to capture my screen with a KB shortcut.  However, (you knew there was going to be a "however", right?), xnviewmp requires you to explicitly "copy to the Clipboard" -- a regular "Copy" won't do it.

I think it's simpler to use my original method:  "PrtScn" > CTRL-V in Publisher, CTRL-C in Publisher, click into Publisher window, then use "Edit > "Paste Without Formatting" and I'm done.

On Windows 10 you can:

1. Go to Settings (press the Windows Start button on the Taskbar and then the Cog icon);
  2. Go to the “Ease Of Access” section;
  3. Go to the “Keyboard” settings;
  4. Scroll down and set “Print Screen shortcut” to ON.

Then, when you want to take a screenshot, you can press PrtSc and then click on the “Fullscreen Snip” button at the top of the screen.
The screenshot will now be on the clipboard and it can be pasted inside (using Paste Inside – Ctrl+Alt+V) the Picture Frame.

It’s one step more than just pressing the PrtSc key but it’s maybe better than some other alternatives.

22 hours ago, Return said:

which I copy/paste into the affinities

Like said, it isn't a one button action.
It opens in xnviewmp and there I copy(ctrl+c) and paste(ctrl+v) or paste inside/paste content(ctrl+alt+v) in the affinities.
There are numerous (free)clipboard managers/utilities available, at least on windows, that may do what you want.
However they may conflict with the affinities too, so be aware of any issues that may arise.

10 hours ago, GarryP said:

On Windows 10 you can:

1. Go to Settings (press the Windows Start button on the Taskbar and then the Cog icon);
  2. Go to the “Ease Of Access” section;
  3. Go to the “Keyboard” settings;
  4. Scroll down and set “Print Screen shortcut” to ON.

Then, when you want to take a screenshot, you can press PrtSc and then click on the “Fullscreen Snip” button at the top of the screen.
The screenshot will now be on the clipboard and it can be pasted inside (using Paste Inside – Ctrl+Alt+V) the Picture Frame.

It’s one step more than just pressing the PrtSc key but it’s maybe better than some other alternatives.

Thanks to, GaryP -- I think I will use that!  I NEVER knew that keyboard option existed; but it (sort of) proves that PrtScn does not copy to the 'normal' Windows Clipboard.  How do you find this stuff?

Thanks to "Return" -- I like that option too.

Note that ALL of this, I think, can be done on v1.10 ... still looking for the Improvements I can use in 2.1 ...

12 hours ago, tkarl__nn said:

How do you find this stuff?

All I did was type windows 10 prtsc key into the google.co.uk search box and then open the link to “How do I enable the Print Screen key in Windows 10?”. Other people may get different search results.

As far as I can tell, all the procedure I mentioned does is ‘link’ the PrtSc key to the Snipping Tool which can otherwise be launched via Win+Shift+S.