You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Alt / Option - drag to duplicate in layers panel

• Staff

Apps: All
Platforms: Windows, macOS and iPad

With any layer(s) selected in the Layers panel, you can now hold alt (Windows) or Option (Mac / iPad) and drag to create a copy of the selected layers. The duplicated layers will be inserted into the layer stack in the position you have dragged to.

Note: on iPad you will need a keyboard attached, or use the command controller to access the option modifier for this operation.

Managing Director

Help make our apps better by joining our beta program!

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) / Apple M1 Max / 64GB / macOS 12.0.1

iPad Pro 11-inch 3rd Gen / iPadOS 16.2

• Staff

Known Issues

• PD-339 - MacOS: Option+drag to duplicate in layers panel will not allow you to move layer directly above the top layer, or bottom of a group.

Further known issues will be added to this list as they are reported to us by customers in this thread.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

On 2/7/2023 at 3:45 PM, Ash said:

With any layer(s) selected in the Layers panel, you can now hold alt (Windows) or Option (Mac / iPad) and drag to create a copy of the selected layers. The duplicated layers will be inserted into the layer stack in the position you have dragged to.

Does it warrant mentioning that this also applies to Groups, Layer Adjustments and Mask Layers or is With any layer(s) selected sufficient?

Affinity Designer 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1.2344
Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.6.8, Magic Mouse

Works as it should, both at all levels and as well as with the Groups.

Cheers

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3296)

It works for individual layers and group layers, but the top layer can only make a copy below it. I cannot option drag a copy above the top layer, including inside a group. Also, the bottom layer in a group can only be copied upward and remain inside the group. Dragging downward creates a copy outside of the group.

Not a big deal, it's just a matter of consistency. It would be nice if any layer could be dragged either up or down to make a copy, whether individual or inside a group.

When I use this and drag down on the only or the last/bottom shape in an artboard, the object is placed outside the items grouped in the board. I then have to go to the layers panel to move it back in the artboard. Dragging up works fine.

Edit: Whoops.. I just realized this was already mentioned. I'll have to do a better job of reading the other posts!

Edited by mogi-ct

@Ash is it possible to have a feature like: Quick way to Export PNG images from the Layers panel While using Designer or Raster Persona?

Like clicking Right-click over the layer or group and then export seamlessly.

This would save tons of time while exporting simple assets to clients.
I found the need to go to the Export Persona, Slicing objects, then export slices to many steps for simple exports.

I believe this would be a nice simple addition to the Affinity apps

image.png.85edb809aefb0e6093bc99a3767fe357.png

1 hour ago, JhonatanS said:

Quick way to Export PNG images from the Layers panel While using Designer or Raster Persona?

I think everyone will come up with their preferred file format to be included in the menu, too. But OTOH I think the idea is not too bad if you take it a little further. Make it a command like 'Quick export to predefined in preferences format'. This way your suggestion would remain a one menu entry thing and could improve personal workflows quite a bit 🙂

d. 

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

7 hours ago, JhonatanS said:

@Ash is it possible to have a feature like: Quick way to Export PNG images from the Layers panel While using Designer or Raster Persona?

I found the need to go to the Export Persona, Slicing objects, then export slices to many steps for simple exports.

FWIW: You can select your layer and press Cmd+Opt+Shift+S (File > Export... on macOS) and choose Selection Only from the Area pop-up, and hit Enter, but it's not as quick as Right-click > QuickExport Preset as you're suggesting.

image.png.66f967cc17f86dacd0ae3cd812124757.png

This is the way:

6 hours ago, dominik said:

Make it a command like 'Quick export to predefined in preferences format'. This way your suggestion would remain a one menu entry thing and could improve personal workflows quite a bit 🙂

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

• Staff
On 2/27/2023 at 2:30 PM, JhonatanS said:

23 hours ago, dominik said:

I think everyone will come up with their preferred file format to be included in the menu, too. But OTOH I think the idea is not too bad if you take it a little further. Make it a command like 'Quick export to predefined in preferences format'.

yes, obviously off topic for this thread but absolutely all possible - we'll see what we can do in a future update!

Managing Director

On 2/19/2023 at 11:16 PM, Ronbo said:

It works for individual layers and group layers, but the top layer can only make a copy below it. I cannot option drag a copy above the top layer, including inside a group. Also, the bottom layer in a group can only be copied upward and remain inside the group. Dragging downward creates a copy outside of the group.

Not a big deal, it's just a matter of consistency. It would be nice if any layer could be dragged either up or down to make a copy, whether individual or inside a group.

Beta 1709 Windows -- dragging up top layer appears ok, dragging up to new top entry of group too.
When I had a sub group as lowest item of layer, it seemed I could drag to bottom of that subgroup but not below it as last entry of layer - otherwise it fell out of the layer.
With a simple layer, I could drag to the end of the layer ok

Shortly after doing many drags like this, and reverting using History and CTLZ  Designer had enough and crashed out.   Is the alt-copy a memory hog or something?

LayersToTestThings2.afdesign

Win 11 PCs 64bit  Envy and Envy tablet + Filter Forge  Retired computer systems tester doing graphics for charities and politics etc.

On 2/27/2023 at 5:10 PM, dominik said:

I think everyone will come up with their preferred file format to be included in the menu, too. But OTOH I think the idea is not too bad if you take it a little further. Make it a command like 'Quick export to predefined in preferences format'. This way your suggestion would remain a one menu entry thing and could improve personal workflows quite a bit 🙂

d. 

Maybe a list of all available formats with checkboxes to select the formats you need?

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

• 3 weeks later...

Ive been working in affinity designer v1 on ipad for a while now and what Ive been wanting in the layers studio for the longest time is a button that lets me duplicate. I dont work with a keyboard nor do I use the command modifier. I need to be able to delete, group, and duplicate in the layers studio. In v1, there is a group button and a delete button. They're awesome but with duplicate I have to go to the edit menu for that and it forces me to remove myself from my workflow of working in the layers studio. Making me lose time from my work because Ive exited my workflow to do something that should have been in the layers studio.

In v2, the delete button is there but now the group button has changed. Its no longer a one time tap to simply group something. Now, if I want to group something I have to tap the group button, a drop down menu appears, and I have to do an extra step of selecting "group." Its so annoying. I hate when things take two or more taps to do something. Its bad design and v2 is full of drop down menus.  It should just be a one time tap to group something. One tap is great design. The issue here is you have the warp options merged with the group button when the warp options should be its own separate button. So you need to make a group button that groups, a warp button that brings out a drop down menu of all the warp options, and then you need to add a duplicate button as its own button for users who dont use a keyboard or the command modifier.

I think the ability to duplicate in the layers studio with a keyboard shortcut is great for keyboard users. But theres needs to be a duplicate button in the layers studio for users working inside the layers studio who dont use a keyboard or the command controller. Not exiting the layers studio. Just full attention in the layers studio and building your layers and work there. 

Attached is a photo below on what needs to happen. 

duplicate button.PNG

• Staff

There are various improvements we have in mind in the layers panel which will help with this, although it's unlikely it's something we will tackle in 2.1 I'm afraid. 

Do you use the quick menu (three finger swipe down or long press on document)? Much of these options are available through there too - though do understand in some cases having them more accessible in the layers panel itself would be beneficial.

Managing Director

15 hours ago, Ash said:

There are various improvements we have in mind in the layers panel which will help with this, although it's unlikely it's something we will tackle in 2.1 I'm afraid. 

No worries.

15 hours ago, Ash said:

Do you use the quick menu (three finger swipe down or long press on document)? Much of these options are available through there too - though do understand in some cases having them more accessible in the layers panel itself would be beneficial.

Im actually using AD v1 right now but quick menu in AD v2 would be the solution for duplicating in the layers. Im glad you see how I need these options in the layer studio. When Im building my work in the layers studio I need to be able to stay in my layers studio and have everything I need there. I dont want to exit the layer studio to do a quick menu gesture on my canvas or go to the edit menu like in v1. I need my focus and attention to stay and be in this layer studio. Again, quick menu is the solution for now.  🙂