You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Suggestion for Export Dialog file format choice/display

Since the upgrade to V2 there have been a number of people coming to the forums asking how to change export file format because they haven’t seen the little drop-down list at the top of the dialog.

My suggestion to (hopefully) lessen these problems is to use something like what I have quickly mocked-up in the two images below (I’ve only made a mock-up for two of the formats).

The salient points are:

• The drop-down is clearly labelled;
  • The coloured icon gives the user a quick way to identify whether they are using the format they want – colour is often easier to notice than a few letters;
  • The description gives the user a general idea of why they might want to use that format.

Note: I have no interest in discussing the correctness, or otherwise, of the descriptions for the file formats in my mock-ups. It’s just some basic sample text, nothing more than that.

jpg-export.png

pdf-export.png