You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have some stock AI files that I purchased from a stock library and when I open them in Affinity Designer, all the colour shift from what I'm wanting them to be.

I can't figure out how to shift them back!

When the files are opened, I get a message popping up saying a profile has been applied to the unprofiled document. It applies US Web Coated SWOP v2.

Is there a way to change what profile is applied by default?  What am I supposed to be doing?  I have been to the document setup panel and tried both assigning a profile, and also converting to a profile, but the colours always remain the same and don't match the colours of the same file when opened in any other applications.

Here is the same file opened in Designer and Photoshop.  This is a drastic colour shift that I can't understand.

post-15565-0-67103900-1455490958_thumb.jpg

Set default color profiles in Preferences > Color Profiles.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Yeah, I saw that option, but in that menu there is no dropdown box to let you define what to do when you are opening a file that has no color space already attached to it.  The problem with these files, and there have been many like it downloaded from Shutterstock and Adobe Stock, is that the are totally unassigned.  When Affinity Designer gets hold of then it seems to performs a conversion to CMYK immediately, without asking you.

That menu specifies which CMYK space to use use if you open a CMKY image.  Or what RGB space to use if you open an RGB image, but if it doesn't know whether it's a CMKY or RGB image, it seems to make some assumptions somewhere and make a conversion.  When I try and open the same files in an Adobe app, a menu pops up and says what kind of image would you like to open this as.  It doesn't make any assumptions if it doesn't know, so it asks you.

As far as I can tell, there's no way of going back from that conversion once these images have been incorrectly profiled.  If I convert back to RGB, the colors don't change back, so I'm stuck with the wrong colours.

Are you maybe confusing ICC color profiles, like sRGB IEC61966-2.1 or U.S. Web Coated (SWOP) v2, with color formats, like RGB (8bit) or CMYK (8 bit)?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I'm not sure what I'm confusing, but the fact is there is no way to open these files in Designer and have them look correct.

It applies a CMYK ICC profile (U.S. Web Coated (SWOP) v2) automatically when you open the files, but the file isn't CMKY, it's an RGB file, so it skews all the colours in the way you see in the file  I attached to my first post.

Once you have the file open, you cannot get the colours to go back to how they should be, either by manually assigning an RGB ICC profile, or converting to an RGB ICC profile in the document preferences.

I can open these files in Finder on my mac, in Photoshop, Bridge ...etc and they all look fine.  It's only a problem when I open them into Designer and I get the warning message that it has applied a profile to an unprofiled image.

One of the problems I'm having is understanding this line from the user manual "The chosen profile will be used as the current working space and will be offered when creating new documents, or will be used if you choose to convert an opened file's colour space (discarding its own colour profile)."

This line is in relation to the preferences/colour profile menu you suggested I look at.  The instructions seem to indicate that you chose a single profile, but that's not true.  You choose a profile for RGB and a profile for CMYK.  

When I open my supposedly unassigned image, it tells me that it has converted it to my working colour space, but it has converted it to my working CMYK colourspace, not the working RGB one that is specified in the preferences menu.  I feel like this is where the problem is.  There doesn't appear for there to be a way to open this unassigned image and have it apply the specified RGB ICC profile, it always goes for the CMKY one and in doing so, all the colours get shifted.  

post-15565-0-93957200-1455766675_thumb.png

Because you mentioned "stock AI files" in your first post, I am assuming that you are referring to vector artwork that you purchased from Shutterstock or the like in Adobe Illustrator format. As a hobbyist, I don't use or buy stock artwork so I cannot tell you why AD is treating them as CMYK, only that the few free AI files I have downloaded from the web are treated as RGB when I open them in AD.

However, I can tell you that unfortunately it isn't as simple as there being a single "correct" color rendering for any image file, & that for vector artwork this is even more true because there is no real world reference like there would be for a photo.

To understand why requires some knowledge of color spaces, color profiles, & digital color management in general. Please understand also that I am in no way an expert on this subject. I am still struggling with some of the concepts myself; however, I have found this three part article better than most at explaining the basics.

Affinity Photo 

MEB - Have messaged you the file.  Thanks for taking a look!

R C-R Thanks for the link, I will digest that info and see if it helps me.  I guess what I'm thinking of as "correct" is just how the file looks when I open it in any other application other than Designer.  I will see what MEB discovers when he tries to open the file :)

• 5 months later...

Hi guys,

may I ask what is the eventual solution in this case? :) We often work on stock, unprofiled vector files with eventual export to Adobe1998 RGB TIFF for digital print. Having AD force assign CMYK to all unprofiled vector files (be it EPS/AI/PDF..) on file open results in colors changing to a very pale/washed out palette. It's the only issue forcing me to stick to AI while I'd switch to AD instantly if I could.

Other than that, you've done a marvellous job guys! :) Seriously. I've worked with most of DTP/Photo editing software on the market for the past two decades now, and the moment I've stumbled upon AP/AD was instant love. The usability and features is by far top league in their category. Big thanks to all the Affinity team for such an amazing suite and a great support on the forums.

Thanks

Jan

• 2 years later...