You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

affinity publisher 2, cannot add a stroke to a linked svg or eps file

Can anybody explain why I cannot stroke a linked eps or svg file (they do have four distinct sides)? I have no problems with png or jpg.

Also when using the outline feature in FX  it is not like the stroke function where you can change joins, corners, etc.  And the pixel size of the stroke has no correlation whatsoever with the point size in the stroke function. The outline stroke should be measured the same way as the stroke function . . . in points

Can you explain more about what “stroke a linked eps or svg file” means?
If you can tell us exactly what you are trying to do, and exactly how you are trying to do it, then we should have some ideas.
If you can share the file in the forums then we can try the same thing ourselves.

I simply place a linked eps or svg file into Publisher and cannot apply a stoke like I can to a jpg or png. The eps or svg does not contain any images and are a representation of a printed page. It is not an irregular shape and is a rectangle. I need to apply a black stroke so that the edges of the white page are defined against the white page. I have to use the FX function OUTLINE to apply a stroke. This outline function is based on pixels rather than points. Publisher is a print app and should not be creating outlines based on pixels . . . that is more appropriate to Photo I suppose . . .

See attached. The example is of a sign with a white border but the issue is the same. Don't worry about the type being messed up if you don't have the font on your system. What is important is the border.

test.afpub

Edited by kanihoncho
I reuploaded the file with embedded svg instead of linked

If you do it the other way around you could…

Create a container, apply stroke, then paste in your SVG…

See test2.afpub

test2.afpub

MacBook Pro 16 pouces (3456 × 2234), 2021 / Apple M1 Pro / 16 Go / macOS Ventura Version 13.4.1 (22F82)
+ 31,5 pouces (2560 × 1440) + 27 pouces (1080 × 1920) + iPad (8th generation) / iPadOS 17.2 + Apple Pencil + 

Macmini6,2 Quad-Core Intel Core i7 16 Go / macOS Catalina version 10.15.7 (19H2026)
MacBookAir6,2 Intel Core i5 double cœur 4 Go / macOS Big Sur version 11.7.7 (20G1345)

Licence Universelle Affinity V2 updated to 2.3.0

Thanks for putting the document together.
Hmm… I see what you mean now.
I don’t know if this is by design or not.
Even putting the embedded document into a Group and then putting the Stroke on the group doesn’t seem to work.
I wonder if the software thinks that the document is ‘empty’ in some way.

You can put the embedded document inside a rectangle layer of the same dimensions and then give the rectangle a stroke, if that helps.

Hopefully someone else will either have an answer or know if it’s a bug which has already been reported.

34 minutes ago, kanihoncho said:

Thanks for looking at this

Click on the Edit Document button and you can manipulate that eps attachment to your heart's content.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

On 2/6/2023 at 9:31 PM, kanihoncho said:

it is not like the stroke function where you can change joins, corners, etc

Right-click SVG layer and select Convert to Picture Frame

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.