You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

This problem did not exist in Publisher V1

It works better for closed curves. At least fill should be active.

open curves with no fill will not add (in V2 and V1)

Edited by NotMyFault
V2 differs from V1 as Lacerto has proven

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Works with a filled open curve. Or even a pair of filled yet open curves.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Seems to work when a fill is selected, but this behavior is different than the previous version. Why change it? The same thing happens in Designer. I think this change was unnecessary and works less efficiently than previously.

One more question: why does the fill and stroke color change when I actually use the Pen tool??

Example: Black stroke, white fill selected while Pen tool is active. Soon as I click down, a black stroke and empty fill is applied. WHAT

7 hours ago, tripplejaz said:

Example: Black stroke, white fill selected while Pen tool is active. Soon as I click down, a black stroke and empty fill is applied. WHAT

On the Context toolbar, if Use Fill is not checked, no fill will be applied. If it is, the current fill color will be applied. This is the same as in V1.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

On 2/6/2023 at 11:10 PM, tripplejaz said:

Seems to work when a fill is selected, but this behavior is different than the previous version. Why change it? The same thing happens in Designer. I think this change was unnecessary and works less efficiently than previously.

I agree. I think it is a bug (the behavior is definitely different than in v1 versions where the curves do not need to be closed, nor filled, or even have actual attribute values). As a work around in versions 2, you can use Boolean operation with the Alt/Option key to perform Compound operation, and then convert to curves (Ctrl+Enter / Cmd+Return) to make the change permanent.

Note that you can perform Boolean operations in any of the three apps via Geometry menu. On macOS, you can have a Compound version of the operation by holding down the Option key when clicking the menu command, on Windows, hold down Alt+Ctrl (or AltGr); on macOS the menu command labels change to reflect the alternate mode, on Windows for some reason this UI feature has not been implemented. Note too that if you have plenty of screen estate, it might be useful to place the Boolean operation buttons on the toolbar of Publisher and Photo (if there is no room, the overflowing controls will be available though via a dropdown menu on the right edge of the toolbar). The commands are available either as a group or as individual buttons (but on Windows there is an omission so that individual buttons are not available in Publisher or Designer but only in Photo; on Windows, the remaining five commands of the Geometry menu are available as a button row only in Designer; on macOS they are available in all three apps). 

The problem with v1 was that open curves would autoclose:  

That was a major flaw in the boolean operations which was fixed in v2. That's likely why it may appear that it kinda "doesn't work as it did".

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

3 hours ago, loukash said:

That was a major flaw in the boolean operations which was fixed in v2. That's likely why it may appear that it kinda "doesn't work as it did".

Yes, Divide was fixed (but only partially, as shown in Boolean operations involving text objects), and everything else broken (when working with unfilled, open and unattributed curves). Does this only "appear" to be broken compared to v1 behavior, so that this is now "as designed"?

1 hour ago, lacerto said:

Does this only "appear" to be broken compared to v1 behavior, so that this is now "as designed"?

I guess it depends on if the 'auto-close' behavior of V1 was intended or not.

Anyway, if I want the V1 behavior I just need to remember to close (or fill) the shapes I want to use the Booleans with, so while it is a bit of a PITA, I am not going to worry about it too much.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, lacerto said:

this is now "as designed"?

13 minutes ago, R C-R said:

To give it a more fair comparison, I asked Uncle Ill Frustrator how he would handle it:
In case of Add/Subtract/Intersect/Xor, he will autoclose as well.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

What else can we do than guess? My guess is that they probably did not plan the version 2 Boolean operations involving open, unfilled or unattributed curves behave as erratically as shown, considering that in version 1 these operations behaved more or less as expected and similarly as in other vector graphic software (excluding Divide that was buggy). As for  autoclosure of open curves that happened in version 1, it basically reproduced behavior of Illustrator (at least in simple cases as demonstrated in the clip above). But maybe Adobe behavior, often copied minutely in other places, was not intentional in this instance, but achieved accidentally:

boolean_add_open_curves.thumb.png.409faaecce94ef1dac65c0037981adb3.png 

4 minutes ago, lacerto said:

As for  autoclosure of open curves that happened in version 1, it basically reproduced behavior of Illustrator (at least in simple cases as demonstrated in the clip above).

Maybe Serif decided closing open shapes with boolean operations was something best left up to the user to decide or not to decide to do manually; thus considering auto-close something some users would consider an annoyance?

Anyway, unless the staff comments on if this is by design or not, all we can do is guess or use workarounds.

Affinity Photo 

• 3 weeks later...