You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text above the text frame

Help please - what am I doing incorrectly?

Text in new frames and tables appears above the text frame.  This has only started happening recently.

See screenshot - ok on left, above frame on the right.

Text Frame Insets all set to 0

Text is set Top Align

Table set to Centre Align, Spacing above/below paras set to 0

thanks,

Dennison

Text frame offset.jpg

The weird thing is that text frames I created in an earlier version of AfPub are normal with Baseline OFF but go weird when Baseline enabled.

New Text Frames behave the reverse.

I still need to discover why the change is occurring, as otherwise the 400-page book with 100s of Text Frames will be next to impossible to format correctly.

You have the problem with the two applied Paragraph Styles plus you also have a problem with the diamond bullets Style having 3 points for the Baseline in Position and Transform. This is carried over to the styles which are based on it.

775440385_ScreenShot2023-02-07at7_02_32AM.png.b038d759ff21e82ac4aaa16298698e2f.png

Finally this is just my opinion but you have far too many Paragraph Styles in this document.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Thank you for the feedback.  Problem solved - all new Text Frames had a default 3pt Baseline shift which I had not noticed.  This came from new Text Frames inheriting the previous settings rather than reverting to a default.

I've now set Edit - Defaults - Synchronize from Selection which I hope will keep the default settings intact.

2 hours ago, Dennison said:

I've now set Edit - Defaults - Synchronize from Selection which I hope will keep the default settings intact.

Just to be clear: that is not a setting. It is a one-time action. It won't do anything for the future situations where this could occur. It will just correct it for now, in one document.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

6 minutes ago, Dennison said:

I certainly hope the ability to set a default Text Frame style will be added soon

I hope not. I want text styles applied to individual bits of text, not all the text in a frame. For the extremely rare occasions that I do want all the text in a frame to have the same style I just select the frame (using the Move tool) and apply the text style to it. The thought of being unable to change a single paragraph to another text style simply because the text frame has control over what paragraph style will be applied would be disastrous.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Apologies, obviously I was not clear.  I'm not suggesting a fixed Text Frame style - but a default for a NEW Text Frame instead of a new frame having the last used style applied. In the same way that there is a Base style - so that a new Text Frame is within the design scheme rather than just a random style of whatever paragraph style was used last.

4 hours ago, Dennison said:

Apologies, obviously I was not clear.  I'm not suggesting a fixed Text Frame style - but a default for a NEW Text Frame instead of a new frame having the last used style applied. In the same way that there is a Base style - so that a new Text Frame is within the design scheme rather than just a random style of whatever paragraph style was used last.

Many users prefer that Tools remember their settings, and there are many requests to changes Tools to do that in the Feedback forum.

Here is a case where the Tool is remembering its setting, and you want it not to. That would frustrate many other users :) 

You could just click the Revert Defaults button in the Toolbar when you want to change the current object, before you start working in it.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

5 hours ago, Dennison said:

a default for a NEW Text Frame

You can save your own global default text frame style via Edit > Defaults > Save.
As "usual" (d'oh!) with those "Defaults" though, it can get a bit quirky to make them stick or to apply them. Some saved Text Frame panel attributes are apparently not being reverted at all (Hide overflow, Ignore text wrap, Ignore baseline grid), others (Vertical position) may need a second click on the Revert Defaults button.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

On 2/8/2023 at 10:00 AM, Dennison said:

This came from new Text Frames inheriting the previous settings rather than reverting to a default.

In addition to Walt's hint: If you want new frames to revert to Defaults you can simply hit the Revert button for the first new created frame and thus get further frames appearing with Defaults as wanted.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1