You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[SOLVED] colours in the exported image differ from colours shown while editing

Hi all,

I've been using AFphoto since its beginnings and it's the first time I have this kind of problem.

The DJI_0452x5.jpg file was exported from Affinity Photo 2. It shows a large yellowish area in the sky around the spot where the sun had just set down.

The weird thing is that while editing the image in Affinity Photo, that area looks orange, just like the sky on its sides: I can't understand why exporting the image, colours change, and they change only in that area.

Some more details about the workflow:

- the orange colour of the sky is yielded by a HSL layer (yellow shift and saturation): the sky originally look all yellowish

- the image comes from an HDR merge of 5 tiff files, done in Affinity Photo

- each tiff image comes from the same DNG raw file, exported to tiff 5 times with 5 different exposure settings, in order to cover a -2...+2 stop range (this step was not done in AFPhoto)

- more than weird (to me): if I take a screenshot of Affinity Photo while editing the afphoto file, the screenshot looks exactly like the exported jpg and has the yellowish area in the middle of the sky, while the same area, in the same moment, is orange in Affinity Photo.

- Affinity Photo 2.0.4 + MacOS Big Sur 11.7.2 on Apple M1 chip

I could not attach the afphoto file, I guess it's too big (220 MB): it can be downloaded through this link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/16wIC5zlyBDsSE3BK4w6cyHTizeOwUoNd/view?usp=share_link

Thanks a lot in advance for any suggestion.

Stefano

DJI_0452x5.jpg

take care,

stefano

You have the Extended Dynamic Range option enabled in the 32-bit Preview panel when the brightest part of the sky looks orange rather than yellow.

That option is enabling the display of R, G or B values that are greater than the range that can be encoded in a JPEG export or a screenshot, which are standard dynamic range formats.

In the case of your HDR sky, all G and B values are not greater than 1.0 (equivalent to 255 in an integer 8 bits per channel image), and so they get exported intact to a standard dynamic range image. Some R values also are not greater than 1.0, and these get exported intact to a SDR image. However many R values are greater than 1.0 and get clipped when exported to a SDR image, hence the diminished redness (a shift from orange to yellow) of the brightest part of the sky in the JPEG export and screenshot

Disable the Extended Dynamic Range option in the 32-bit Preview panel to display only the standard dynamic range that is exportable in a JPEG (or a screenshot).

Another Option:

1. Merge Visible
  2. Activate Tone Map Persona
  3. Activate "Clamp to SDR"
  4. set Tone Compression to 0 - then adjust to taste.

Yet Another Option

1. Export to JPEGXL

Next gen Option:

1. Add levels or exposure adjustment
  2. Reduce Exposure by 1 stop (-1)
  3. merge visible
  4. Activate Tone Map Persona
  5. Set Tone Compression and local Contrast to taste

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

1 hour ago, ,,, said:

You have the Extended Dynamic Range option enabled in the 32-bit Preview panel when the brightest part of the sky looks orange rather than yellow.

That option is enabling the display of R, G or B values that are greater than the range that can be encoded in a JPEG export or a screenshot, which are standard dynamic range formats.

In the case of your HDR sky, all G and B values are not greater than 1.0 (equivalent to 255 in an integer 8 bits per channel image), and so they get exported intact to a standard dynamic range image. Some R values also are not greater than 1.0, and these get exported intact to a SDR image. However many R values are greater than 1.0 and get clipped when exported to a SDR image, hence the diminished redness (a shift from orange to yellow) of the brightest part of the sky in the JPEG export and screenshot

Disable the Extended Dynamic Range option in the 32-bit Preview panel to display only the standard dynamic range that is exportable in a JPEG (or a screenshot).

that was exactly the problem. In the tonemap persona I originally lowered the tone compression value to 40% to get more contrast and this happened to keep some pixels out of the 8 bit boundary. I found that checking and unchecking "clamp to sdr" gives a visual indication of the areas that will be clipped when switching to 8 bits during export.

thank you very much!

take care,

stefano

1 hour ago, NotMyFault said:

Another Option:

1. Merge Visible
  2. Activate Tone Map Persona
  3. Activate "Clamp to SDR"
  4. set Tone Compression to 0 - then adjust to taste.

Yet Another Option

1. Export to JPEGXL

Next gen Option:

1. Add levels or exposure adjustment
  2. Reduce Exposure by 1 stop (-1)
  3. merge visible
  4. Activate Tone Map Persona
  5. Set Tone Compression and local Contrast to taste

@notmyfault,

I tried the solutions you suggested. the first one simply clipped the rgb values and I got back to the image with a white sky (overexposed).

Exporting to JpegXL is not usable for me, since my DAM cannot handle jpgxl files currently.

the third one did the trick.

I also tried to do the hdr merge from scratch and found that "clamp to sdr" can help in finding whether the chosen compression level is high enough to avoid clipping pixels later. If this is the case, it is possible to lower the exposure of selected areas using overlays before leaving the tonemap persona.

thank you so much!

take care,

stefano