You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is there RAW support for Iphone 13 pro max?

Affinity 2 is opening RAW files from iPhone 13 Pro fine for me, there's no difference between the 13 Pro and Pro Max with regards the RAW files. How are you actually opening the file, if you are using Edit With from Photos on macOS then it won't open the RAW file in Photo 2.0 but instead either a JPEG or Tiff file so you have two choices:

1. Airdrop the DNG file from your iPhone to your Mac
  2. Use Export Unmodified Original from the export menu in Photos to export the RAW DNG file and then open in Photo 2.0

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

1 minute ago, v_kyr said:

The iPhone 13 pro max is not among the list!

I think that may just be an oversight...

1 minute ago, Hangman said:

I think that may just be an oversight...

The OP can check via LibRaw, which tells the same here!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

34 minutes ago, zarniwoop said:

it seems to open them as jpgs.

That is possibly, I think, an issue with how you're trying to open the files and not with the files themselves.

Please describe theworkflow in more detail that gets the files from your camera to Photo 2.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

21 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

The OP can check via LibRaw, which tells the same here!

That's not really relevant here, it's the RAW files themselves, not the device they are taken on and the RAW files on the iPhone 13 Pro and Pro Max are identical.

Ah thank you so much. So it does open the dng if I go to Affinity, open, and select my file browser media menu and scroll through to the relevant photo. It just doesn't if I try to do this within Photos. 

Does anyone know if this is going be fixed or if this is just how it's supposed to work? I don't think think I manage a workflow where I have to search through thousands of photos in a tiny window every time I want to edit one. 

But if anyone is looking for the same answer Affinity will edit iphone 13 pro max proraws even though it's not on the list!

Edit: Though having said that this is so nice to use once you've got the photo open I might stick with it.

Edited by zarniwoop
clarification

1 hour ago, Hangman said:

That's not really relevant here, it's the RAW files themselves, not the device they are taken on and the RAW files on the iPhone 13 Pro and Pro Max are identical.

Then the OP should be able to open them right out of the box.

5 minutes ago, zarniwoop said:

Ah thank you so much. So it does open the dng if I go to Affinity, open ...

From APh try from the main menu just "File -> Open ..." here!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

2 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Then the OP should be able to open them right out of the box.

Not if using Edit With from Apple Photo's, that's the whole issue here... you have to export the RAW file first...

44 minutes ago, Hangman said:

Not if using Edit With from Apple Photo's, that's the whole issue here... you have to export the RAW file first...

AFAI recall it had been already said in the forum that "Edit With" is broken in actual MacOS versions due to Apple changes.

Okay, so there is kind of workaround it seems... if you double click the RAW photo in Apple Photos and then click Edit (top right) as though you were going to edit the RAW file directly in Apple Photo's you can then click the ellipsis in the circle from within Apple Photos' RAW editor and select Edit in and select Photo 2.0.

Because you now have the RAW file open rather than just the JPEG preview within Apple Photos it will now open the RAW file in Photo 2.0 though you do have to switch the default Develop Settings to those shown below get anything like a similar starting point, i.e., Switch to the Apple RAW Engine and disable the Tone Curve and even then you will likely see a difference between how Apple Photos displays the RAW file vs Photo 2.0 but of course you can then adjust to your heart's content...

1953594940_DevelopAssistant.png.6d0776c9003f7a64fee593be5a79bfec.png

7 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

AFAI recall it had been already said in the forum that "Edit With" is broken in actual MacOS versions due to Apple changes.

That's not the issue here, it's simply the fact that when Apple Photos displays the RAW file in its DAM, it is displaying a JPEG Preview, which is what is opened if selecting Edit With, it's only when you go into Edit mode that Apple Photos displays the RAW file and subsequently it then opens the RAW file in Photo 2.0 if Edit In is selected from Apple Photos RAW Editor...

4 minutes ago, Hangman said:

it's simply the fact that when Apple Photos displays the RAW file in its DAM, it is displaying a JPEG Preview, which is what is opened if selecting Edit With

Can't tell my MacOS and Photos versions are so old (pretty outdated), I also don't/can't run V2 apps on the old system. - On my old Photos version I have to export RAW files first in order to make any use out of those in other third party apps.

3 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

On my old Photos version I have to export RAW files first in order to make any use out of those in other third party apps.

Does the version of Photos you're running allow you to edit RAW files directly within the app, i.e., does it have ProRAW support?

27 minutes ago, Hangman said:

Does the version of Photos you're running allow you to edit RAW files directly within the app, i.e., does it have ProRAW support?

I'm actually not on the Mac computer, but I highly doubt that El Capitan supports ProRAW here.

Use ProRAW with Photos and other apps

ProRAW uses the industry standard digital negative (DNG) file format, so you can open ProRAW files with apps that are compatible with DNG files. For the best experience, however, use apps that are compatible with ProRAW files, like the Photos app on your iPhone with iOS 14.3 or later or on a Mac with macOS Big Sur 11.1 or later.

You can share the original unedited ProRAW photo, which has the .dng file extension. And if you edit the photo in the Photos app, you can also share the edited version, which has the .jpg file extension when shared.