You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text on an (existing) Path

My guess is that the curve which has the text on it was flipped and/or rotated.

Look at where the white anchor point is in the Transform Panel.
If it’s not at the top-left then that’s usually because the layer has been rotated, or flipped and rotated, or flipped both horizontally and vertically, or maybe something else.

I don’t know if there is an easy way to get the text back ‘the right-way-round’, while having the curve looking the same, in this case.

4 minutes ago, GarryP said:

My guess is that the curve which has the text on it was flipped and/or rotated.

I can confirm this. Flipping the line with text horizontally (Layer > Transform > Flip horizontal) does recover the text readable.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

On 2/5/2023 at 3:11 PM, dominik said:

I can confirm this. Flipping the line with text horizontally (Layer > Transform > Flip horizontal) does recover the text readable.

d.

Yes sure, that was my first idea too, but the line doesn't fit the rest of the layout anymore 🙂

iMac 27'', Mac OS X Ventura 13.2.1 (22D68)

1 minute ago, md_berlin said:

Yes sure, that was my first idea too, but the line doesn't fit the rest of the layout anymore 🙂

This is why @GarryP mentioned that there may be no easy way to make the path look exactly the same.

Sometimes, when things go bad, we have to do a little extra work to iron out what went wrong. I'd recreate the path (it doesn't look too complicated) and retype the text. I personally don't think that for this special occasion it makes sense to make a feature request.

I'm not at my computer right now. But did you try to highlight a single letter and try to flip it horizontally? Is that possible? If not you could combine your text of single letter text objects and copy and paste them into the curve. Then you should be able to flip each letter individually.

d,

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

3 hours ago, dominik said:

If not you could combine your text of single letter text objects and copy and paste them into the curve. Then you should be able to flip each letter individually.

I tried this with your file, but it does not work that way. Sorry that I can't be of more help.

d.

1 hour ago, N.P.M. said:

Perhaps nodetool > change direction of stroke?

No, that doesn't work fix this, in my tests.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Put your text caret in the text. Reverse the curve using the Context toolbar. Flip the item using the Toolbar.

28677397_ScreenShot2023-02-06at12_38_23PM.png.854f5a66e69ac1fce0d8600703e09161.png   869091910_ScreenShot2023-02-06at12_37_50PM.png.14b0872eb8329eff18ae206375584ad9.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Thank you, for all the feedback. But the only thing I can reproduce is this (see illustration). Maybe I haven't got it right yet either. This is not a problem for the one small curve here in the example, I just redraw it quickly, but it can possibly be annoying for more extensive work.

line2.jpg

iMac 27'', Mac OS X Ventura 13.2.1 (22D68)

3 hours ago, md_berlin said:

But the only thing I can reproduce is this (see illustration).

This is not the same file that you attached to your first post. If you can attach the one with 'name of street' in it, maybe someone can help you figure out how to fix it.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 3 weeks later...