You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

What's the best iPad for using Affinity Designer

danidino

Hi,

I searched for an answer but didn't find it, thus I registered there and I hope you could help me. E.g I saw the "Benchmark results" topic but I truly don't understand all these numbers, also it seems to be focused on Affinity Photo.

My question is: what's the best iPad, according to you as users, to use Affinity Designer?

I saw there was iOs versions included in the Affinity Pack license and I want to use Designer with a tablet. I'm not into Apple but it seems we have no choice: it's iPad only. OK thus I'll buy an iPad specifically for this use. I looked at some blog articles and stuff but some people are saying "this iPad [Air/Pro/12,9/10/2019/2022/whatever]" is better or bad for drawing apps because "there is [no lags/colour parasites/whatever]". I know nothing myself about differences between all these iPads.

As buying an iPad is pretty expansive, I want to make the "right" choice: best pen sensitivity, no lags, correct colours, etc. In your opinion, what's the best iPad for Designer? is it "Pro", "Air", the 2022 ones or some "old" ones?

I should precise I may also need to use Affinity Publisher on this portable device but I want it to be perfect first for Designer.

Thanks!

Cheers,

Dan

I bet this thread will have >250 replies within hours 😂

Use the pro models. The Pro Display is a bit better then non-pro.

Use large 12.9 screen. Small 10.5 screens will cut off some UI elements, slowing you down.

Use Models supporting Pencil 2 (except used ones)

Take a model with as much RAM as possible. But this gets very expensive, as RAM is bound to storage seize, so you have to get the 2TB model to get 16 GB RAM. The models with 8GB are ok. 

Apple does not list RAM for all models, so maybe consult Wikipedia or other sites to find information about RAM size.

If budget limit is a factor: you can use any model supporting Pencil 2.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Old Pro models are OK, even with Pencil 1. but Performance of M1/M2 models is about 10x better for certain operations (More relevant in Photo and Publisher than in Designer).

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

8 hours ago, NotMyFault said:

I bet this thread will have >250 replies within hours 😂

Yeah I thought so! But your answers are pretty complete, thus maybe people don't have anything to ad?

Thanks a lot for your answers!!!

Edited by danidino