You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Requesting a better warp tool for Photo

Affinity wizards: There are tools I am constantly looking for and use often; one is a precise and greater control WARP tool. The more complex options are only in Designer and seem limited to vector. Mesh/Warp laughs at me in Photo (well, maybe not literally) when I attempt to use its limited Mesh/Warp tool. I have a suggestion and it's backed by a diagrammatic image file. I want to lobby for a WARP tool that is as sophisticated as the one in Pixelmator Pro. The level of control and preciseness is amazing. It is the main reason I jump back and forth between Affinity Photo and Pixelmator Pro. Once you've used it everything else works like trying to move a 75 lb. block of concrete with bare hands. The second feature — something missing in both products — is redesigning your selections features. I want to have the option of creating a selection with a feathered edge, whether it is using the lasso tool or the square, circle, selection tools. I have not been able to find that option in either product. Feathered selections let you copy something and drop it back onto the image after making color, white balance, or sharpened, etc., adjustments to the patch. The feathered edge lets you to ease the adjusted item/patch back into the original image. That's a simplistic description of something that has lots of uses. Look over my attached image file for further examples of both requested features. Thanks for reading!

affinity-pixelmator-missing-features.jpg

Edited by ricktuma
Awkward sentence structure.

35 minutes ago, ricktuma said:

I want to have the option of creating a selection with a feathered edge, whether it is using the lasso tool or the square, circle, selection tools. I have not been able to find that option in either product.

aph_feather_selection.png.bf5a32e042e557899d03f22ac76fabf1.png

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

10 hours ago, ricktuma said:

now it's on to a fantastic warp tool.

What you're requesting in your example is done by the Liquify persona or the new Live Liquify filter.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

1 minute ago, ricktuma said:

I'm using the most recent version of the Affinity suite, where do I locate that function? 

In Photo 2, not available in the Photo Persona of Publisher.

796974287_ScreenShot2023-02-05at11_51_45AM.png.d7a031a4f63d963e631a60506ff0dea3.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Old Bruce: I didn't know that the Publisher Suite Photo persona does NOT offer the extra personas! That's why it was no where to be found. Thanks for revealing that. I do hope Affinity plans to rectify that disconnect! Affinity products are surprisingly confusing. I still like them but having to hunt for functions is frustrating.

Thanks for your help!