You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Where to locate executable for Affinity Photo v2 when I still have ver 1

I am trying to associate the AP ver 2 to a file type in another "open with" on another image browser

I can see only my older ver 1 in usual "Program Files" Affinity folder. Where is the new exe installed by new MSIX installer when I bought the new ver 2 application package ?

I have associated the image type with AP ver 1 all right but locating the execuatable for ver 2 in windows 10 or 11 is a little difficult.

How is the new structure organised ? MSIX means new version 2 only appear as a 300+ Mb install as I assume it marks all shared DLL et al files as under ver 1.   

14 minutes ago, KFam said:

I can see only my older ver 1 in usual "Program Files" Affinity folder. Where is the new exe installed by new MSIX installer when I bought the new ver 2 application package ?

If you've installed the MSIX version then the executable is in a hidden directory that (most likely) other apps won't be able to link to directly. If they require you to specify the path name then they probably won't work with it. Some, though, let you simply specify a program name. If you're using one of those applications, try AffinityPhoto2 or AffinityPhoto2.exe which should work if they support Windows App Execution Aliases. Or, some distinguish between programs and Windows applications. If yours gives you that choice, choose Windows application, which may allow you to find it.

Alternatively, you could uninstall the MSIX-based one you have now, and install the EXE/MSI-based version that was released on about January 27.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On a related note, I have the v2 MSIX installation, however I'd like to replace it with the MSI installers. I don't want to lose any of my studios/settings though, so I'm wondering where these configurations are saved that way I can copy them over to the new MSI location?

18 minutes ago, WirlyWirly said:

On a related note, I have the v2 MSIX installation, however I'd like to replace it with the MSI installers. I don't want to lose any of my studios/settings though, so I'm wondering where these configurations are saved that way I can copy them over to the new MSI location?

You don't need to do anything. The MSIX-based and the EXE/MSI-based versions store the settings in the same directory. All you need to do is install the EXE/MSI version and if you want (it's best to do so) uninstall the MSIX-based version.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

3 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

The MSIX-based and the EXE/MSI-based versions store the settings in the same directory.

If I recall correctly from looking once on a Win box, it was for V2 apps in the users home folder (?).

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

1 hour ago, v_kyr said:

If I recall correctly from looking once on a Win box, it was for V2 apps in the users home folder (?).

%USERPROFILE%\.affinity

Edited by walt.farrell
Correct erroneous directory name Thanks, v_kyr!

-- Walt
PC:

39 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

%USERPROFILE%  ok then I've used the correct ones in OpenCL Disabler for v2.

Thanks. Fixed.

I've been curious: why is OpenCL Disabler still needed? Can't one just use the --no-ocl command-line argument now?

-- Walt
PC:

6 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I've been curious: why is OpenCL Disabler still needed? Can't one just use the --no-ocl command-line argument now?

Sure should do basically the same, but what if the respective Affinity app cores before performing that operation, or doesn't start that CLI cmd way at all here for you? - My OpenCL Disabler tool isn't dependent on a running Affinity app at all, it works completely independent and doesn't need an Affinity app to run at all.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2