You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Adjustment layer adjustments not exporting

I have a simple (I hope) nube problem.

I open a jpeg in Affinity Photo 2. I add an adjustment layer. I am just reducing the brightness of a black and white sketch. So I have a background later and now there is an adjustment overlaid on top of it (in the same layer). But I can move that into a separate layer, which I do (though same problem either way, whether I move the adjustment into its own line or not). So I now have a background (original) layer and also an adjustment layer (reducing brightness). I can group them or not (same problem either way). I can move one layer above the other, which as expected applies the effect in the main screen or not (depending on the order, as expected). When in the right order I can see the adjustment in the main window. It also appears at the bottom of the sidebar (below the layers). So it looks like I have successfully added my adjustment. It looks great, just how I want it. So I go to export my adjusted image. I choose File/Export and choose my format (same problem whatever the format). In the export panel the preview is not adjusted. It is the original image, not the adjusted image. Sure enough, when I export I just get a file with the original, unadjusted image. No difference if (prior to export) I select one layer or both layers, or group the layers. I have also tried using the Export persona with a slice. Same experience/outcome - the adjustment is not included in the exported file. Though (prior to export) I can see the adjusted image in the main window, no matter what I do I can't get the adjusted image to export.

I can't work out where I am going wrong. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Edited by pedro6

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

A screenshot of the complete application window, with the Layers panel showing, immediately before you do File > Export, would help us answer. Also a screenshot of the File > Export dialog.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

The preview is shown at 10% zoom level. To evaluate how the file will look, you need to zoom to 100%.

Your image shows a very special case of thin dark grey lines. The perceived brightness depends severely on zoom level.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

How do you want to reduce brightness?
the sketch is more like a black and white image. Do you want to increase contrast, making dark parts darker, but bright parts (paper) brighter?

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Hi NotMyFault, and thanks.

If I move the adjustment below the background, the preview then shows much darker, thicker lines, so in other words the adjustment is definitely affecting the look of the preview (zoomed or not). My issue is that on export the look of the original (unadjusted) file is exported, not the adjusted look.

To illustrate this further, I have now added colour to the image with an adjustment, and I attach a screenshot of Affinity showing the new adjustment and the colour in the preview, and also of the export panel (which shows no colour). So I assume that I have the wrong settings somewhere, but I can't work out where. Clearly the point of making adjustments is to enable them to be saved to a new file. That does not seem to be happening in my case.

Affinity2-adjusted-with-colour.jpg

Affinity2-adjusted-with-colour-export-panel.jpg

Can you upload that Affinity document to the forum or just a cropped part of it if you don't want to reveal the whole thing?

As long as it still shows the problem

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

No, the Affinity Photo document when you save it.

It will have the .afphoto extension

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Here you go. Perfectly red. But I still can't export to a (red) jpg. I guess I could export from the afphoto, though that is a long way round. In the past (in AF1) I have been able to export multiple different versions of the same file with adjustments (from the original file, not needing to create an afphoto file). I must be missing something here, but I don't know what.

PSG_20140731_DSC_1595_DxO_cartoon+sketch_AFF-brighter-colour-cropped.afphoto

Edited by pedro6

Your file previews and exports here as a red jpg for me

Have you actually tried to export a jpg and reopened that jpg or are you just looking at the black and white preview?

Just trying to ascertain if your preview is wrong or you don't get a red jpg when exported

Carl, yes I have looked at the exported file - it does not include the adjustment. Did you get your adjusted file from the afphoto or the original jpeg?

NPM, thanks. I tried that (see attached) but I don't know what you mean by "Put a red rectangle on top of the stack". How do I do that please? So far the result of making the adjustment a child and choosing lighten blendmode has been the same as before - the adjustment is not exported.

PSG_20140731_DSC_1595_DxO_cartoon+sketch_AFF-brightness-as-child-and-lighten-mode.jpg

Just now, pedro6 said:

Did you get your adjusted file from the afphoto or the original jpeg?

From the .afphoto file

hi,

I hope I'm not messing things up. The problem @pedro6 describes sounds somehow similar to mine, as in

in my image, it looks like an adjustment layer effect only partially affects the exported image, whereas it is fully visible while editing in Affinity Photo.

My export preview also shows the adjustment as if it were applied only to a smaller portion of the image than it actually is.

I really can't understand what's happening.

take care,

stefano

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @pedro6,

Thanks for your report and our sincerest apologies for the delayed response here. We are exceptionally busy following the release of V2 and we thank you for your continued patience and understanding here.

I can confirm I'm seeing the same issue in your file, between 100%-200% zoom the Recolour adjustment renders the black pixels on canvas with a red-ish tone,  however this is not how the file appears when exporting to raster formats.

Viewing your document at 201% zoom or higher, and this renders correctly (ie the same as the raster export) on canvas, which isn't something I've come across previously and therefore I have logged this as a bug with our developers for further investigation.

I hope this helps :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

Hi Dan

Thanks for this. Thought I was doing something something wrong, so finding out this might be a bug is quite good news!

No doubt you or a colleague will let us all know when further conclusions are reached, as I would still dearly love to export my file in a different form, as originally intended.