You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can´t find export to jpg

4 minutes ago, Ellgeh said:

What a[m] I doing wrong?

You're not switching the topmost popup menu above "File Settings" from PNG to JPEG. :) 

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

• Staff

That selector needs "File Type:" to the left of it. That's far from obvious that it's changeable at first glance 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

4 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

That's far from obvious that it's changeable at first glance 

The downward facing v icon does indicate it is a popup menu as it does elsewhere in the UI but it definitely would be better if it was labeled, as are (almost?) all the other similar menus.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

On 2/4/2023 at 7:05 PM, R C-R said:

The downward facing v icon does indicate it is a popup menu

Just to clarify - it is combobox.

The fact that this control doesn't have a label (which is absolutely standard) is unfortunately just another example of Afinity's fundamental problems with UI creation.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

12 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

Just to clarify - it is combobox.

As I understand it, "combobox" usually refers to a combination of a field that values can be entered into directly & a popup list that displays predefined values when the field is clicked on. There is no way to enter a file format's type into that item so I do not think combobox is the appropriate name for it.

But whatever it is, it pops up a menu; thus "popup menu" should make it clear what happens if you click on it.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

25 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

From that (emphasis added):

Traditionally, it is a combination of a drop-down list or list box and a single-line editable textbox, allowing the user to either type a value directly or select a value from the list.

Have you found some secret way to type anything directly into the (unlabeled) box to specify the File Type?

Affinity Photo 

Well, UI component wise I would always name it as the dev systems on a specific host system (Windows or MacOS) names those GUI components. In case of Windows systems VS predefined UI-components this is more a ComboBox UI-component than a by MS so called Menu Strip. - But in CS & Java I can easily make an own UI-component out of a free placeable Dropdown Menu which looks and behaves the same.

The Win VS way ...

However as already said, if own GUI components are used and not the predefined VS Win ones, such a ComboBox can also be done via a Dropdown Menu (even with the down arrow pointer), so it always depends here what GUI components libs (or own custom defined components) have been internally used! - Thus I would say both answers are to 50:50 correct here, since it can be done with either of those UI-components.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

3 hours ago, v_kyr said:

In case of Windows systems VS predefined UI-components this is more a ComboBox UI-component than a by MS so called Menu Strip.

So just curious but in Windows systems can you enter text directly into a combobox or just choose from a menu-like list of values? If not directly enterable, what does 'combo' referring to in this context?

Affinity Photo 

5 hours ago, R C-R said:

So just curious but in Windows systems can you enter text directly into a combobox or just choose from a menu-like list of values? If not directly enterable, what does 'combo' referring to in this context?

Not sure what you overall mean. - A combobox is usually as default/standard an UI component which allows you to choose from a pre-defined set of values. - Though as said before, you can also enhance it (or write your own component) to add/offer additional functionality like editable text input or dynamically adding additional content on demand etc. - In the screencast above I've shown just a default combobox example with fixed predefined entries (given during it's creation in the VS GUI builder).

You can make also a combobox which allows you to enter the text in it's top text component part, which can be helpful if you have a lot of down entries there and you want to offer a shorter way of selection with entering a matching text then, instead of scrolling over let's say 20 entries or the like. So when you type in PNG and that matches an existing entry that one will be selected. - However, there are many posibilities to customize or enhance such an UI component, enhancements here especially when subclassing it and adding own custom functionality.

BTW a general/basic definition of a combobox is ~ ...

Combobox

A combo box, combo box (from English combo box) or combo box is a control in a graphical user interface (GUI) that the user can use to make a selection from given options or, alternatively, to make their own entries. The name Combobox derives from the fact that it can be viewed as a combination of a text field and a list field (selection list, list box, drop-down menu). In the case of a combo box, keyboard entries are therefore optionally possible in the text field of the combo box or the selection/change of one of the specified list entries. Combo boxes are not to be confused with a select box or a dropdown list - these do not allow free user input, so the text field component is missing here.

Functioning and design

Which entries – as suggestions for selection by the user – are displayed in the combo box list at which point in time depends on the respective application. It also depends on the details of the implementation of the combo box in a computer program whether the visible text field is initially empty or whether a preset value is displayed. The list itself can also be empty at first and auto-complete later with the numbers or text entered in the text field.

The list box combined with the text field is usually a space-saving, single-line so-called drop-down list box that only appears when the associated button is pressed. Strictly speaking, one then speaks of a drop-down combo box.
Combination of combo box and slider.

Various implementations allow programmers to display small icons next to the respective list entries. In general, the list entries do not have to be text-based content. In various Office packages, colors, hatching, line types or line widths can also be selected using a combo box. The concept behind it is called "owner draw".[1]

In addition, it is not mandatory that the drop-down window has to be a list box. For example, in Adobe Photoshop and Adobe InDesign, sliders appear in some places when the user expands the combo box.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

4 hours ago, v_kyr said:

Combobox

A combo box, combo box (from English combo box) or combo box is a control in a graphical user interface (GUI) that the user can use to make a selection from given options or, alternatively, to make their own entries.

Users cannot make their own entries in the unlabeled export file type selector; therefore, I do not see how it can correctly be called a "combobox."

IOW, there is no alternative to selecting from the given options; it is not a combination of more than one method of choosing/entering the export file type.

Do you disagree?

Affinity Photo 

35 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Users cannot make their own entries in the unlabeled export file type selector; therefore, I do not see how it can correctly be called a "combobox." ... Do you disagree?

What has that to do with the overall naming of such an UI-style component, which is build up from a combination of different single base components, if Serif doesn't had added an overall naming label here and instead preshows a default entry one, or the last time used one as an entry?

You as a dev can provide here the functionailty of how your comboboxes (combination of boxes) look & behave under certain needed conditions.

@v_kyr, I do not understand why you are confused by my last post. We are talking about the top item in the export dialog window, the one for selecting the export file type. The only way to select one is by clicking on that item, exposing a list of predefined options. There is no way for users to make their own entries directly there or to add anything that isn't already an option.

Thus, I do not see how it fits the definition of a combobox because there is only one way to make the selection.

IOW, it is not a combobox in the same sense that for example the Positioning and Transform fields in the Character panel are comboboxes because you can either choose from the list of predefined values or enter your own directly into the field.

Affinity Photo 

3 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

You as a dev can provide here the functionailty of how your comboboxes (combination of boxes) look & behave under certain needed conditions.

What does that have to do with anything? Are you suggesting that any UI element that has more than one item is a combobox? That would mean every menu a combobox.

Affinity Photo 

Either you didn't understood the general concept of a plain vs custom/enhanced combobox, or that comboxes don't have to be static and can also be of different dynamic flavors/styles here.

13 minutes ago, R C-R said:

What does that have to do with anything? Are you suggesting that any UI element that has more than one item is a combobox? That would mean every menu a combobox.

Häh what are you talking here, a menu has usually more than one entry and you think I would call that combobox then? LOL - Do me a favor, look over some common UI guidestyles etc. which show various in GUI apps used common UI-components. Or look over here ...

... etc. maybe you know then the differences and can then answers your Q yourself! - Or even better fire up Xcode and play around with some default offered UI components there in order to get a feeling and usage knowledge from them!

1 hour ago, v_kyr said:

Either you didn't understood the general concept of a plain vs custom/enhanced combobox, or that comboxes don't have to be static and can also be of different dynamic flavors/styles here.

So then what does the "combo" in a plain, not "enhanced" combobox refer to? Specifically, what kind of combination does it refer to in the Export File type dialog window? You can choose only one export file type from the list, not a combination of several of them.

Affinity Photo 

34 minutes ago, R C-R said:

So then what does the "combo" in a plain, not "enhanced" combobox refer to? Specifically, what kind of combination does it refer to in the Export File type dialog window? You can choose only one export file type from the list, not a combination of several of them.

Combo in that context means, you can choose from one of a predefiend entry set (graphics output formats), aka those the Affinity apps support there! - It doesn't mean in this context an arbitrary combination of those entries, generally the combo in combobox means that this UI-component (widget) itself is build up by a combination of other UI-components (widgets).

See also Wikipedia DE and translate that page to english (since the english one is too short and wrong here with it's overall terminology) in order to read what they wrote there for the definition ...

...The name Combobox derives from the fact that it can be viewed as a combination of a text field (UI-element) and a list field (selection list, list box, drop-down menu) ...

2 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Combo in that context means, you can choose from one of a predefiend entry set (graphics output formats), aka those the Affinity apps support there!

So it is just a menu?

4 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

See also Wikipedia DE and translate that page to english (since the english one is too short and wrong here with it's overall terminology) in order to read what they wrote there for the definition ...

...The name Combobox derives from the fact that it can be viewed as a combination of a text field (UI-element) and a list field (selection list, list box, drop-down menu) ...

Again, this does not seem to me to be what the export file type UI element offers -- it only offers a list, not a text field, which to me is a field where a user can enter (type in) alphanumeric text values.

It is just a menu, in this case one that either drops down or pops up in place, depending on where the initial value is in the list.

Affinity Photo 

2 minutes ago, N.P.M. said:

When I find myself in times of trouble, Mother Mary comes to me,.......

Is this your way of suggesting that we let it be?

Affinity Photo 

23 minutes ago, R C-R said:

So it is just a menu?

Why? - Menus do GUI wise (on MacOS, Windows) have fixed predefined positions and do follow the respective style guide of the OS. Real menus are usually here either top line or right click context drop down menus. Though they might also can be abused on demand if that makes sense for some softwares GUI.

Instead here a combobox can be done by either using a text button with a dropdown "v" icon where a seletion list is glued on below. The button changes it's shown text (selection) then due to what is selected from the below accessable list. - None of this has to be a menu!

Instead there are also other combinations of UI-elements possible to create a combobox. Like a textfield with a beneath little button with an "v" icon and below glued then the selection list/fields (or a range of buttons as lists etc.). Where the textfield can be show only (not editable) or editable on demand.

And so on ...

I think it is kind of important to use terminology that makes it clear what one is talking about, which is why I think it is a good idea to call this particular UI element a menu that one can pop open & not some kind of box, combo or otherwise.

Affinity Photo 

4 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I think it is kind of important to use terminology that makes it clear what one is talking about, which is why I think it is a good idea to call this particular UI element a menu that one can pop open & not some kind of box, combo or otherwise.

No it isn't, a combobox is NO MENU. - As I said before look into Xcode etc. some GUI-Builder in order to make yourself clear what sort of different UI-components (widgets) do exist and what they are usually meant to be used for! Or read some book about GUI programming and the like which explains ALL THAT to you then!