You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Keyboard problem. The space bar does not work.

Hi @KMA and welcome to the forum. I just tried it with Ventura 13.2 and Publisher 1.10.6 and the Finnish keyboard worked fine.

What has probably happened is you have accidentally assigned the spacebar as a keyboard shortcut.

Go to Affinity AppName > Preferences > Shortcuts, click in the empty box to the right of a command such as About and press the spacebar. If space is assigned to another menu command you will get a yellow yield icon to the right. Hover over it and it will tell you what other command has space assigned. Cancel the one you just added by clicking the X icon and then go find that other one and click its X icon. You might want to leave it assigned to About or whatever until after you've found the other one because it's easier to scan for the yellow yield icon.

Or just click the Serif Defaults button which will revert all your shortcuts back to the original values. But this will result in losing any customizations you've made.

974819917_Screenshot2023-02-04at9_58_20AM.thumb.png.c04230747ad208c1d49251791e106a53.png

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.0 for macOS Sonoma 14.4, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

Thanks MikeTO! The keyboard shortcut was a problem.

I tried and compared imac with the corresponding Publisher settings. It works on the iMac, so I concluded that the problem is in the macbook's hotkey settings. I couldn't find any settings on the Macbook pro, so I started trying different combinations. Shift + space works.

• 1 month later...

I have nothing linked to shortcut and as an overkill I have defaulted all. Still the spacebar does not work in Photo or Designer (it works normally in all other programmes) The only way I can get a space in Photo and Designer is by using SHIFT and SPACE.....HELP

image.png.ccb6b8fb4197d834f2ce469747e153c5.png

2 hours ago, Harrythespida said:

I have nothing linked to shortcut and as an overkill I have defaulted all. Still the spacebar does not work in Photo or Designer (it works normally in all other programmes) The only way I can get a space in Photo and Designer is by using SHIFT and SPACE.....HELP

Hi Harry, could you please save your shortcuts from Photo or Designer and upload the shortcuts file here? Which version of Photo or Designer are you using?

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.0 for macOS Sonoma 14.4, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...