You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Please make version 2 available offline.

hello?

Please make version 2 available offline.

It was possible in v1 and is the No. 1 reason I went with Affinity Photo over Photoshop.

Suddenly, only supporting online activation from version 2 is a policy that is not considerate of existing users.

In most corporate networks, computers do not have secure Internet access. And,  there will be more of these companies in the future.

Please be considerate so that we can continue to use the Affinity Program in the future.

thank you

On 2/4/2023 at 6:13 AM, Seon Jae, Jeon said:

In most corporate networks, computers do not have secure Internet access. And,  there will be more of these companies in the future.

Just a comment: Corporations can purchase Business licenses, which can be activated in different ways from Personal licenses.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

5 hours ago, Seon Jae, Jeon said:

Therefore, I have to personally purchase and use it.

Does your company own the computer you want to install V2 on or do you? If you own it, can you take it off premises & activate it online elsewhere, or does the company not allow that?

If they own it, I don't think you could install it via a personal purchase.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

36 minutes ago, Seon Jae, Jeon said:

Since our company is a financial institution, we block the Internet for security.
It does not restrict the use of all programs other than those provided by the company.
Therefore, I can use the offline installable program.

I think that @R C-R's point is that the license agreement for Personal licenses restricts you to installing the program on computers that you own or control. And it sounds like you neither own (the company owns it) nor control (because you cant remove it and install the software from home) that computer.

Therefore, even if offline activation were possible, it seems like a violation of the license terms for you to install your Personal license on that computer.

Note: I am a not a lawyer. But this would be my interpretation of the agreement, as I have read it:

(i) if you are a private individual, to download, install, use and run for personal use, one (1) copy of the Serif Software directly on each computer running Microsoft Windows (“Windows Computer”) that you personally own or control.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff
1 hour ago, Seon Jae, Jeon said:

Since our company is a financial institution, we block the Internet for security.
It does not restrict the use of all programs other than those provided by the company.
Therefore, I can use the offline installable program.

If you are using the software in a business environment (and want more than one copy), you can buy the business license, which is delivered as a product key and does not need internet access to activate. You simply paste in the product key (as your password) when prompted to sign in

https://affinity.serif.com/affinity-pricing/#business

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

9 hours ago, R C-R said:

If they own it, I don't think you could install it via a personal purchase.

4 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Therefore, even if offline activation were possible, it seems like a violation of the license terms for you to install your Personal license on that computer.

If a business gives you permission to install a legal copy of software you have purchased onto one of their PCs I don't see a problem with licensing. You effectively have control of that PC at that time for that purpose

Licensing is there to primarily ensure a company gets paid for its software. If there's no attempt to defraud you don't/won't need lawyers

I think the, related, issue of freelancers installing software onto a work PCs was addressed and approved in the past

(But still, the OP needs a way to install it without having to purchase (multiple) business licenses.)

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Just curious, but if the company won't allow their computers to connect to the internet at all, how do they install software that is only available via downloads, as most of it is these days?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I cannot use programs that must be downloaded and installed, and I cannot use software that requires online activation, such as Vegas Pro.

Programs such as Davinci Resolve Studio download the installation file from the PC at home, copy it to the company PC, install it, and use the license as a USB dongle license.

Dear Patrick Connor: Oh, ok...
If I purchase a business license (for 2 people) with my account, will I receive a product key as you said?

I didn't know exactly what it was, so I only bought a personal license during this discount period.

I missed the discount period...

I think I'll have to wait for the next discount period because it's too burdensome to buy another business license now.

thank you for telling me.

14 hours ago, Seon Jae, Jeon said:

If a company blocks the Internet for security reasons, I am very surprised that it allows any custom applications to be installed and run on its "closed" network, which are as a result just as, if not more dangerous than a controlled Internet connection.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

13 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

If a company blocks the Internet for security reasons, I am very surprised that it allows any custom applications to be installed and run on its "closed" network, which are as a result just as, if not more dangerous than a controlled Internet connection.

Lots of companies have to cater for the specific software needs of individuals working for them, in addition to the generic software that everyone gets...

E.g.

The accountant needs accounting software
Whoever pays the wages need Payroll software
Whoever does the Invoices needs Billing software
And the Graphics guy needs Affinity Photo

etc
etc
etc

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

39 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Lots of companies have to cater for the specific software needs of individuals working for them, in addition to the generic software that everyone gets...

E.g.

The accountant needs accounting software
Whoever pays the wages need Payroll software
Whoever does the Invoices needs Billing software
And the Graphics guy needs Affinity Photo

etc
etc
etc

But then it's not about private, non-corporate applications!

OP wants to install Afinity for his own, completely private purposes.

15 hours ago, Seon Jae, Jeon said:

However, since my company is not a photography or design company, I cannot ask the company to purchase the program.
Therefore, I have to personally purchase and use it.

Are you really comparing that to the fact that an accountant needs an accounting program that, of course, was purchased and managed by the company?

Edited by Pšenda

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

7 minutes ago, Pšenda said:

Are you really comparing that to the fact that an accountant needs an accounting program that, of course, was purchased and managed by the company?

When you hire a Grahics guy you would expect him to want to use software he is trained in.

If you are hiring an accountant and want him to use specific software you already have in house you would specify that in the job advert, same with the Graphics guy

On 2/7/2023 at 2:45 AM, Patrick Connor said:

If you are using the software in a business environment (and want more than one copy), you can buy the business license, which is delivered as a product key and does not need internet access to activate. You simply paste in the product key (as your password) when prompted to sign in

https://affinity.serif.com/affinity-pricing/#business

If the business licenses was at a discount too at launch it'd have been worth buying two of them over a personal license with these restrictions, if that distinction was known at the time.

I don't quite understand why personal licenses are restricted to challange-response activation DRM when the software still fully supports offline product key activation like version 1 of the Affinity suite, now just locked behind a business license. I must say though it's quite good to hear you haven't gone crazy across the board with heavy DRM like many other companies.

I hope this could be reconsidered or otherwise a promise given that offline activation would be possible after the product has been retired, all to avoid a scenario similar to your older suite of software where it's no longer possible to activate Serif MoviePlus.