You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

how to reduce image before cloning reduced image onto a 2nd photo

I've tried many ways of reducing 1st image - canvas, document, flattened, not flattened, exported to new folder to use that image, reduce, cut and paste and so on. Every time I cloned 1st image onto 2nd image, the 1st image stays way too large!

Let's say I have 2 photos - one of a car, one of a truck. They were about the same distance from the camera so they are somewhat similar in size. I want to reduce the size of the car then clone that onto the image with the truck so that the car looks smaller. Every time I clone the car on the truck photo the car is way too large. I have taken image of car from 4200 dpi on the long side down to 500 dpi, the car still clones way too large. It seems my reductions only decrease the dpi maybe. I don't know, I'm getting soooo confused.

Several years back I use to do this without thinking when using Photoshop!

I appreciate any suggestions offered!

SouthBama

Edited by SouthBama
Left off 's'.

Welcome to the forum @southbama

I think you are getting pixels and DPI mixed up, DPI (Dots Per Inch) is used for print and is related to resolution with 300 DPI the standard amount, what you are talking about are pixels.

You don't need to do all this exporting and resizing, all you have to do is resize the car image with the bounding box nodes, you can drag and drop or place the car image into the truck image and simply scale the car down to a size you like.

• Place or drag and drop the car image into the truck image
  • Select the Move Tool (V)
  • Make sure the car layer is selected and look to the bottom right, click and hold the small bounding box node and drag to the top left.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Thank you firstdefence! I was flustered and mixed my terms! I do appreciate your advice!

I guess I still didn't use correct words to describe what all I needed to do! I found 'How to quickly remove a background in Affinity Photo' (Logos by Nick) so I could get my first photo ready. Then I copied, pasted to desired photo then used your simple advice and I was able to get the needed results!

That was so simple! I have no idea how I began going down such a complicated path! Hopefully I can soon get comfortable with Affinity Photo!

On 2/4/2023 at 4:17 AM, SouthBama said:

the car still clones way too large.

For reference, the clone tool does have a Scale setting in the context toolbar which may be useful in future projects

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.