You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

JPGs written from Photo much smaller than the same from Publisher

Hello folks!

I'm hoping someone can explain what's happening here. If I write out JPGs directly from a Photo file, they come out a particular size. If I link those Photo files in a Publisher file and then write out that file by page, the resulting JPGs are around 3x the file size. For example, 150k vs 500k. The document pixel sizes and DPI are the same. All the output options are the same in each method (bilinear, quality tried at 100, 90, 80).

Seems like they should be the same size or close to it. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Will

I tested it and got identical file sizes when using the same colour profile and export settings for Photo and Publisher. I think you need to check that you're creating a Publisher document with a colour profile that matches the image you're exporting from Photo, and that the export settings are identical.

I got different sizes when mixing and matching colour profiles.

Cheers

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

If you have publisher in a cmyk preset, it might export cmyk jpg, having a 4th color channel, and probably reducing the compressionratio for all channels.

But to find a definite cause, we need:

• the afpub and afphoto file used
  • a screen shot of exact export settings in both apps
  • the exported jpeg file

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.