You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can I got to "Black and White" and back to Coloure?

Using Affinity Photo 2: I understand that certain adjustments are made easier/better in Black and White (i.e. turning the image into black and white and then adjust the various colours like Red, Yellow, etc.) My question is this: Once I have adjusted the various tones, can I now put the image back into a coloured version? How do I do this? (Mine just stays in black and white).

You can use adjustment layers non-destructively, e.g. B&W adjustment, HSL adjustment to to get an B&W rendering, keeping the original colour image layer intact.

As long as you do not merge down those separate adjustment layers, you can always access the original layer by simply duplicate it, or deactivate the adjustment layers on-top.

What is not possible is to convert the document to GREY color format and then back again to RGB (unless using undo in history panel, or snapshots).

You can use snapshots (must be created manually!) and recover from this saved snapshots any time later.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Are you using a Black and White Adjustment layer? If yes then you can turn it off with the Layers panel. Use the little 'dots' on the right of the layer, you may have to expand the layer if the Adjustment is nested, or a child of the layer.

On:

364489386_ScreenShot2023-02-03at1_37_25PM.png.356890aef588029efa0576c3123ce9a6.png

Off:

735550429_ScreenShot2023-02-03at1_37_34PM.png.4c39dad5fb0181eb0858c0e1079d2d04.png

Aside: Greetings from a fellow Wet Left Coaster.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.