You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Allow editing of Appearance for multiple objects

3 minutes ago, EricP said:

It would be great to be able to multi-select several objects and edit their appearance (add Stroke or Fill). As of 2.0.4 the appearance only allows editing of one object at a time

Hi Eric, if you have the Stroke and Colour (fill) panels open you can do this for multiple selected objects but I agree, the Context Bar could be much better when multiple objects are selected, I'm always tripping up on this since I don't have room to keep Stroke and Colour open on my laptop screen. This isn't new in 2.0.4, Affinity was this way in v1, too.

Affinity changes from the object-specific Context Bar to limited Group options when multiple objects are selected. I think Serif could improve this:

• When multiple objects of the same type are selected, just add the Group button but retain all the object-specific options.
  • When multiple objects of different types are selected, add the Fill and Stroke options to the current minimal set. Everything has a fill or stroke so it would be good to make them available. Ideally it would retain all the options in common between the objects but even just fill and stroke would be a great improvement.

Context Bar with one rectangle selected 

1158043329_Screenshot2023-02-03at8_41_48AM.thumb.png.e2b75225afe1af1b9e29ec9142ed5811.png

Context Bar with two rectangles selected - it would be better to add the Group button to the view above 

1030180384_Screenshot2023-02-03at8_42_00AM.thumb.png.888b5bb7a6c8fd16c0bc5568e632d2d4.png

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.0 for macOS Sonoma 14.4, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the tip. Maybe I wasn't clear enough but the requested enhancement is about the appearance panel that you can use to add and edit multiple fills or strokes on objects. I did not find a way to edit multiple objects using this panel or the context bar. The options to add stroke or fill become greyed out when multiple objects are selected

image.png.4e4a26780fb18a428f23a5a43e489975.pngimage.png.626453fdf7fe69835e4a061ff38a73d7.png

Hi Murfee,

Yes ! this is what I was looking for. Thanks for the tip, I will use it.

I will still keep the enhancement request open (for what it's worth) as I often have use cases where I select several objects using same fill/stroke and want to change their appearance without grouping them, as grouping affects the z-axis ordering and puts all shapes on one layer. So you loose the stacking order which may change appearance if you have objects overlapping each other

image.png.fd6998f61b81c3066c64abb0537eb01f.png

1 hour ago, Murfee said:

you can if you create your text, then select the text layer, create compound, the text remains editable

Brilliant!

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2