You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

"merge" in the adjustments layer

AGain

Hi,

first of all I don't know if this is a bug or ... a feature... but, reading the help manual in the "Applying adjustments" I read: 

• Merge—merges the current adjustment layer with the layer immediately below it in the layer order.

Now, unless I don't know how to use it ... which it could also be..., but on my mac (AD2, bigsur) I have a picture layer (positioned at very bottom) and on top of that three adjustment layers. if I click one of the adjustment layers (for example the first of the three on top), it opens correctly its "property window" where the "merge" button is, but If I click on the "merge" button, absolutely nothing happens in the layers => all of them remain there, while I expected a merge with the adjustment layer below, as the manual says.

am I doing wrong ?

anyone can help ?

thx

Can we see a screenshot of your application window, including the Layers panel showing the relevant layers, please?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 hours ago, AGain said:

but If I click on the "merge" button, absolutely nothing happens in the layers => all of them remain there, while I expected a merge with the adjustment layer below, as the manual says.

Clicking Merge in the Adjustment Layer Panel will (or certainly should) merge the selected Adjustment Layer with the Image (Edit: Picture) layer rather than merging with another Adjustment Layer (if that is your expectation), so you should see something like this, assuming your image layer is rasterised and not still an image... You can tell by looking at the icon to the left of the 'Picture', if it shows a checkboard then it is rasterised, if it shows a person in a border then it is an image and will need to be rasterised for merge to take effect...

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2402)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

1 hour ago, Hangman said:

Clicking Merge in the Adjustment Layer Panel will (or certainly should) merge the selected Adjustment Layer with the Image layer

It would not merge with an Image layer, but it should merge with a Pixel layer. That's part of why we need a screenshot including the Layers panel.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Just now, walt.farrell said:

It would not merge with an Image layer, but it should merge with a Pixel layer. That's part of why we need a screenshot including the Layers panel.

Apologies, I was using 'image' in the generic sense but realise in this particular context it is confusing, thanks for picking me up on that one... 😳

Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2402)

@walt.farrell @Hangman

thanks for your kind replies. by looking at your answers I understood that the problem was that I was trying to merge them with a NOT pixel layer. It was not clear to me that the layer below had to be a pixel layer and NOT persona layer. maybe adding this to the manual would help (or maybe I did not see it...?)

case is closed it seems.

thx

My opinion is that the Merge button should only work when the Adjustment Layer is a Child layer and should therefore only be active if the Adjustment Layer is a Child layer. It is perhaps an added convenience that it works when directly above a Pixel Layer. Yet this can lead to unexpected results, if I have 2 pixel layers (from bottom to top) with brush strokes and then an Adjustment layer (Gaussian Blur) on the very top, both Pixel layers are blurred and the Merge button will only apply the blur to the uppermost Pixel layer.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

17 hours ago, N.P.M. said:

You can however select both the adj.layer and the image layer if they're not nested, make only these 2 layers visible and use merge visible.You can however select both the adj.layer and the image layer if they're not nested, make only these 2 layers visible and use merge visible.
Or you can, when the adj.layer and image layer are nested aka the adjustment is a child layer of the image layer, select and make only these visible and use merge visible.
This way you can merge image layers and it will create a merged down pixel layer

You can in Photo but not in Designer (as far as I'm aware)...