You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Evenly distribute text across multiple text frames in Publisher?

6 minutes ago, jakech said:

Is there a way to automatically distribute text across multiple text frames so that each frame is evenly filled?

It is called "Balance text in columns" in the Columns section of the Paragraph panel.

----------
Windows 10 / 11, Complete Suite Retail and Beta

15 minutes ago, joe_l said:

It is called "Balance text in columns" in the Columns section of the Paragraph panel.

I think this only works with columns, it won't balance the text in linked text frames.

The easiest way is to select all the text frames then drag up the bottom of the frames until they are even. Or, instead of three text frames, use one text frame with three columns. (Then use balance columns!)

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

21 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

I think this only works with columns, it won't balance the text in linked text frames.

Of course you are correct. I was not reading the OP carefully enough. Interesting fact? If you have a 2-column frame and one column has a width of 0, the characters will still be shown. See attached image. Left frame has a gutter to make it more obvious.

columns.jpg

----------
Windows 10 / 11, Complete Suite Retail and Beta

Well spotted!

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

This could probably be classed as a bug, but at the end of the day, I'm not sure it really matters, or is worth trying to "fix"!  Why would anyone want a zero width text frame and what would be the point in putting text in it? 😉

5 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

Why would anyone want a zero width text frame and what would be the point in putting text in it?

Vertical text.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

7 minutes ago, loukash said:

Vertical text.

You can get that with a very narrow text frame.

I was referring to MickRose's comment "You also get this with just a standard text frame of zero width. I seem to remember this issue was raised a few years ago." Logically nothing should show in a zero width text frame,  but you do actually get this slightly odd effect of a single column of letters. As joe_l pointed out, this means that, when using two columns, with no gutter, these letters are superimposed over the text in the next column. All I'm saying is that this may be a bit odd, but there are no scenarios, that I can see, where it actually matters, so it's not worth worrying about! 😉