You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

So. Much. Crashing... Affinity Photo 2

Tea2

I'm new to Affinity Photo. Purchased the universal license a few weeks ago. There's a lot to like, but it freezes/becomes unresponsive daily (often multiple times) and I'm getting super frustrated. I have to force-quit the program, close all other programs, THEN I have to reboot my entire machine to get AP up and running again. I increased my memory to 32GB and try to run the program with most other programs closed. I think that may have helped. But it wasn't a solution. I saw the below questions on someone else's bug report, so I'll do my best to answer:

1. What tools are you using? - 100% inconsistent. Sometimes on save. Sometimes on open. Sometimes on selection. One time on gradient... It seems totally random.
  2. Are you switching personas? - nope. Don't even know how yet.
  3. Are you editing raw files or standard bitmap files? - jpgs and tiffs
  4. Are you using a mouse/tablet? - mouse
  5. Do you have OpenCL enabled/disabled? What graphics card do you have? - disabled; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti with Max-Q Design

This happens on a bunch of my files. Feasibly all of them. I work on poster-size files that are highly proprietary so I can't link them. Happy to share a crash report if you can tell me where/how to find it.

Thank you.

Welcome to the forums :)

Crash reports for V2 can be found here.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

• Staff

I'll look through the crash report once attached.

I'd also encourage you to enable OpenCL as it looks like you disabled it. As long as your graphics drivers are up to date, there should be no issue with your GTX 1050 Ti and I doubt is the cause of the crashes.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies! Apologies for the delay. I expected an email alert for responses. My bad. Anyhow, attached is the most recent crash report. It doesn't seem to have one for the incident that prompted me to reach out. And it doesn't have a report for the semi-crash I just experienced (simply became unresponsive after a few hours of not being used.)

a23f22b1-56d4-4090-a323-e8f10dc0e273.dmp

• Staff

Sorry I thought I had replied.

The crash report is suggesting that the crash is happening whilst rendering something. It could perhaps be related to a crash we've seen with zooming which by the look of it, has been marked as fixed in a future update. 

So what does that indicate? I just had another crash/unresponsive event (no crash report) when dragging and dropping a very small pdf file (for a shipping label) into a blank document. I had to force quit the program. Affinity would not reopen. It begins to open, but stalls out with a spinning wheel and two Affinity tabs opening at the bottom of the screen (as seen in the attached photo). So then I have to force-quit again. Close everything and reboot my computer. 

file.jpeg

I'm sending you all the crash reports I have on my machine. Sadly, most of the events I'm referring to do not appear to produce crash reports. So this gives you an idea of how frequently Affinity becomes "unresponsive." A lot... If I let the program be unresponsive longer, will it produce a crash report?

a23f22b1-56d4-4090-a323-e8f10dc0e273.dmp 2d4fde01-caaa-4d8f-aab3-83db4331f1a2.dmp 980885f9-d1cc-4a4c-aacb-069c1d01deb1.dmp 4bea0006-8cc8-4679-be3c-aeb27dbceafc.dmp 327f8935-9a3c-4c9a-b947-2b1579fa046e.dmp 20b9180a-6092-40cc-96fe-9d300326fee7.dmp 360389fe-95ed-42fa-b755-d34194ef3e2b.dmp 7319bd1c-4f4f-4ff3-a82f-a9565f56f753.dmp

• Staff

No it won't unless it crashes. However, you can go into Task Manager, right click Affinity Photo and create a dump file. That might give some answers. 

It will likely be a couple of GB in size so try uploading it to this private Dropbox folder:

https://www.dropbox.com/request/vfNqhB7UWdE5WIcGyQjr

• 1 month later...

Hey @Chris B - I'm back! Just had affinity photo go unresponsive while opening a file. I created a dump file and now I can't find it. (whoops) Any suggestions as to where it's hiding? And am I still ok to upload it to the private dropbox above? Thanks!

• Staff

Hey Tea2,

They usually go to C:\Users\your username\AppData\Local\Temp and will have a name like Photo.DMP

That Dropbox link is still active so of course you're welcome to fire it over there. Just let me know when you do it because I do not get a notification from Dropbox :)