You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cannot install any Affinity Apps - error 0x80070005

Question:  How to fix as I have tried 3 different methods of installing??

I cannot install any of the 3 programs. 
Publisher 2,  Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Photo 2

I came across a post from last Nov 2022 about this.

I started the install then this message pops up:

"App installation failed with error message: An internal error occurred with error 0x80070005"

I am the administrator. I have Full admin rights. I can install other programs after these.
My anti-virus was paused when installing.

Edition    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Version    22H2
Installed on    ‎12/‎8/‎2022   <--
OS build    19045.2546
Experience    Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4190.0

I then tried the nerd install at the link and got the same error:  error 0x80070005

I also tried the Microsoft Store and received the same error:

Something unexpected happened
Reporting this problem will help us understand it better. You can wait a bit and try again or restart your device. That may help.
Code: 0x80070005

How is having to locate Powershell and knowing the cd.. command to change folders and then paste in a filepath that you have to modify easier then double clicking on a file and clicking the Install button then the Next button as has been done for decades?  !!

PS C:\Users\David> cd desktop
PS C:\Users\David\desktop> cd affinity
PS C:\Users\David\desktop\affinity> Add-AppxPackage -Path "affinity-designer-2.0.4.msix" -DependencyPath "https://aka.ms/Microsoft.VCLibs.x64.14.00.Desktop.appx"
Add-AppxPackage : Deployment failed with HRESULT: 0x80073CF6, Package could not be registered.
An internal error occurred with error 0x80070005. See http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=235160 for help
diagnosing app deployment issues.
NOTE: For additional information, look for [ActivityId] c6cdfeae-3697-0003-47c1-cec69736d901 in the Event Log or use
the command line Get-AppPackageLog -ActivityID c6cdfeae-3697-0003-47c1-cec69736d901
At line:1 char:1
+ Add-AppxPackage -Path "affinity-designer-2.0.4.msix" -DependencyPath  ...
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : WriteError: (C:\Users\David\...gner-2.0.4.msix:String) [Add-AppxPackage], IOException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : DeploymentError,Microsoft.Windows.Appx.PackageManager.Commands.AddAppxPackageCommand

ERROR_INSTALL_
REGISTRATION_FAILURE
    0x80073CF6     The package can't be registered.
For more information, check the AppXDeployment-Server event log.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

3 hours ago, davidhelp said:

Question:  How to fix as I have tried 3 different methods of installing??

If your Windows system is having problems with MSIX files, you might check that it is fully up-to-date. If it is, and the methods described in the FAQ don't work, then you do have the alternative of installing via EXE/MSI instead. You can find them by going to your Affinity Store account at https://store.serif.com/en-us/account/licences/ where you can click on View License for the application you want, and you will find the alternate installer at the bottom of the license page for the application.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks. I have now downloaded the msi / exe version as describe above. All 3 Affinity programs are now installed.

Microsoft Store also stopped opening as well as other programs I use. There were many posts on the internet about the store not working or getting error messages and solutions that lead down a rabbit hole. Do not know how many other programs were affected. Their files were mostly missing in Programs and also not listed on Programs & Features. My email was also gone in it's folder even though the email program showed the email... like the files were hidden. Maybe a recent Windows update, Kaspersky av or some other program? The Affinity programs were just the first ones I noticed not working / missing files.

Not sure what caused the issue. I ended up having to install Windows 10 in a clean install. My EaseUS image program was used to put the backup I made 7 weeks prior BUT Windows would not boot afterward. Just a black screen with a blinking cursor. I used the command prompt and saw all my files but Windows would not boot. My ssd drive was the set proper in the bios etc. Anyhow after hours of monkeying around I decided to do a clean install and get another backup image program called Macrium Reflect. It made the image much quicker and I also tested it by going thru the recovery process.

I am still in the process of installing the rest of my software and copying the files over that I backup separately to 2 hard drives using Bvckup 2.

Thanks again.