You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

What are the lines that sometimes appear on my image?

OP's question was very straightforward I think. "What do these lines indicate by color/behavior?", essentially? Maybe I am misrepresenting their query. I do feel like I sometimes interpret intention differently than my fellow users and that's maybe a flaw. (BTW, cool dog photo, @Janabanana).

My bigger trouble is sometimes determining what a user is actually asking. If I can get to the meat of it, my style is to avoid too much nerd talk and word vomit and to just give them the straightest answer that I can think of. Sometimes it ends up (my answer) being too straight forward and it leads to cross-talk or the user asking something else related that I could've answered, but sometimes that's preferable if other users may know more than me on any given topic. Add to this, the forums can also be intimidating or even annoying to participate for new members. Add another layer on top of that apprehension, they are already maybe frustrated by a software issue and have come here as a "last resort" to deal with perfect strangers. They may not be people people. So IMV (not in any way, shape or form gospel), it's not always necessary to point back to documentation, though I think that Affinity's videos and documentation as good as they are are under-shared, underappreciated and valued. So for me, feedback is about quality, not necessarily what I "think" the other side should be hearing. To give documentation instead of straight answer to simple questions can leave the feeling that we are suggesting they do a self-examination before attempting to get help. That may not be the intention, but that's how it can come across. I try to consider other's intent, but I have personality quirks like anyone else, so I may even get it really wrong sometimes. Though, adding links to documentation to point them another direction for further reference is rewarding in its own way and is a way of sharing another person's perspective. (So I think just do what you're doing already whatever that is). It's a good way to encourage them towards using documentation. I use screenshots personally when I know there's something super specific already in documentation and that's my way to encourage them to go look there for the answer.

Let's also not forget though, we do all this for free. So basically, do what you will with your time. I'm frequently battling a toddler running amok in the background while trying to be productive, and so sometimes I'm not in my best form when posting and especially with reading comprehension. My worry is I misunderstand something on here and get it completely wrong on intent, but also, I think these forums can be weirdly competitive in terms of "helpfulness" department. Like there's an unsaid bar being set and that if we don't get it exactly right, there's a participation trophy we miss being handed out (those thanks trophies, for example). It's quite OK to get it wrong sometimes and I wish sometimes the vibe could be more relaxed. Also, last but not least, some people are just plain crazy on the internet and will yell & scream at the first person in line and while that's entertaining at points, most of the time it's just another hassle.

TLDR: We badly need an 'off-topic'/'work discussion' whatever forum so we can brain dump and that way, people can learn off each other how they actually use the programs, instead of small snippets. Basically, word of mouth but in more vivid details. I do think that people come here for more than just FAQ information.