You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Missing Font OCRB Barcode Error

Any help would be much appreciated. I finally got my barcode on my back cover but not I cannot get rid of the Error: 

image.png.74b5a730795479313cf10db910d0f27c.png

I am getting this error (Missing Font OCRB) because the font on the barcode I purchased is not listed in the Font Manager:

image.png.9a67ecad724084d0d0673f14cc693fab.png

My barcode has the Font OCR-B:

image.png.846829560dc8fd9f1243254f2615091c.png

Does anybody know how I can clear this Missing Font error? Thanks in advance

9 hours ago, Row13 said:

Does anybody know how I can clear this Missing Font error? Thanks in advance

If the placed file is an EPS, you can open it and render the embedded font as curves.

If the placed file is a PDF, place it for "Passthrough" (= default) so that the embedded font is used when you export. If you place a PDF as interpreted file, you need to have the embedded font installed.

Certain apps like Adobe Acrobat Pro and macOS Preview, can also flatten the fonts and convert an embedded font to outlines.

12 hours ago, lacerto said:

If the placed file is an EPS, you can open it and render the embedded font as curves.

If the placed file is a PDF, place it for "Passthrough" (= default) so that the embedded font is used when you export. If you place a PDF as interpreted file, you need to have the embedded font installed.

Certain apps like Adobe Acrobat Pro and macOS Preview, can also flatten the fonts and convert an embedded font to outlines.

Any thoughts on how to convert the barcode to curves when the option is grayed out? When I go into Layer the only option is to Convert to Picture Frame. I cannot select the Convert to Curves option. 

21 hours ago, Row13 said:

I am getting this error (Missing Font OCRB) because the font on the barcode I purchased is not listed in the Font Manager:

How did you install the font? Does it work correctly with other software?

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Maybe I'm wrong, but as long as I've been using Windows, OCR-A and OCR-B have always been installed with Windows. OK, I've been dragging the font folder along since Windows 3.0, maybe the two font families are no longer installed since Windows XP.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

The barcode_OCRB is for the 50999 number but can be set to pretty much any font, I could generate one with the text set to say Arial for you.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

OCRB came with Office XP and Office 2000 (v1.01) and some others.
Now the only place OCRB is available (AFAIK) is in the O365 Cloud Fonts (v1.56).
And there are other versions out there from BT and Monotype, etc.

The Microsoft version has always been named OCRB, not OCR-B (AFAIK).
There are some OCR-B versions floating around out there.
Perhaps that is the problem.

OCR A Extended v1.80 comes with MS Office for quite awhile now (2003-2019).
Previously it came with various MS apps - Win95, Publisher 98, Plus! packs, etc.

@Row13 Can you attach the PDF?
I cannot imagine why Affinity cannot match the OCRB font.

And what version of the OCRB font do you have installed?

Note: also Adobe Font Folio 11 has OCR A Std and OCR B Std

The font I have installed is OCR-B 10 BT on my iMac 12.6.3 I also have Office installed and an app called Barcode, this website appears to list and offer download of OCRB and OCR-B 10 BT: https://fontsdata.com/find.php?q=OCRB

When using embedded fonts, Affinity apps basically behave in three ways:

1) When the font is embedded in a PDF file and the file is placed to be passed through:

barcode_passedthrough.jpg.37691b3bfacf6b689ba90b36f3a6b8c3.jpg

• The embedded font will be passed through whether the font is available on the system where export happens or not, unless there is a PDF compatibility issue
  • If there is a compatibility issue (e.g. the placed PDF uses PDF version 1.7 and the file is exported using a lower version, like when exporting using PDF/X-based methods),  the conflicting parts will be rasterized and color values reinterpreted and/or the embedded font will be replaced.

2) When the font is embedded in a PDF file and the file is placed as interpreted:

barcode_interpreted.thumb.jpg.52e8716e8e560e367ac7777e5799219e.jpg

• If the embedded font is installed on the system and the font is correctly mapped, the parts using the embedded font will be correctly rendered and exported.
  • If the embedded font is not installed or not correctly mapped, a replacing font will be used.

3) When the font is embedded in an EPS file:

barcode_eps.jpg.ec7087c5968f0cd34f5179f96828e286.jpg

• The font will be converted to curves whether the embedded font is installed/available or not.

When generating things like barcodes (where not only the text parts can be rendered with a font that is embedded in the exported file, but also the barcode itself can be created using glyphs of a special font), it is safest to export using EPS format, if available. If possible, the color format should be for print purposes K100 (no C, M or Y). When generating PDF format barcodes, the most compatible format is non-PDF/X-based one that uses lowest possible version number (1.3; as for Affinity apps, 1.4 will also work in all situations) and that is placed to be passed through.

The safest choice, if available, is to specify that all font based elements are converted to curves.

An example of a PDF where the embedded font was not available, but where there were no compatibility issues in context of PDF placement and export:

barcodefonts_missingfont_nocompatibilityproblem.pdf

An example of a PDF whether the embedded font was not available and additionally there was a PDF compatibility issue (placed PDF was v. 1.7 and PDF version used when exporting was 1.4):

barcodefonts_missingfont_compatibilityproblem.pdf 

In both export PDFs the EPS file works without problems.

On 2/2/2023 at 5:52 PM, Alfred said:

How did you install the font? Does it work correctly with other software?

I never installed the font it just came with the barcode. But I changed the barcode font to what was already in the Font Manager and it cleared the error. Thanks for the reply

11 hours ago, lacerto said:

When using embedded fonts, Affinity apps basically behave in three ways:

1) When the font is embedded in a PDF file and the file is placed to be passed through:

barcode_passedthrough.jpg.37691b3bfacf6b689ba90b36f3a6b8c3.jpg

• The embedded font will be passed through unless there is a PDF compatibility issue, whether the font is available on the system where export happens or not.
  • If there is a compatibility issue (e.g. the placed PDF uses PDF version 1.7 and the file is exported using a lower version, like when exporting using PDF/X-based methods),  the conflicting parts will be rasterized and color values reinterpreted and/or the embedded font will be replaced.

2) When the font is embedded in a PDF file and the file is placed as interpreted:

barcode_interpreted.thumb.jpg.52e8716e8e560e367ac7777e5799219e.jpg

• If the embedded font is installed on the system and the font is correctly mapped, the parts using the embedded font will be correctly rendered and exported.
  • If the embedded font is not installed or not correctly mapped, a replacing font will be used.

3) When the font is embedded in an EPS file:

barcode_eps.jpg.ec7087c5968f0cd34f5179f96828e286.jpg

• The font will be converted to curves whether the embedded font is installed/available or not.

When generating things like barcodes (where not only the text parts can be rendered with a font that is embedded in the exported file, but also the barcode itself can be created using glyphs of a special font), it is safest to export using EPS format, if available. If possible, the color format should be for print purposes K100 (no C, M or Y). When generating PDF format barcodes, the most compatible format is non-PDF/X-based one that uses lowest possible version number (1.3; as for Affinity apps, 1.4 will also work in all situations) and that is placed to be passed through.

The safest choice, if available, is to specify that all font based elements are converted to curves.

An example of a PDF where the embedded font was not available, but where there were no compatibility issues in context of PDF placement and export:

barcodefonts_missingfont_nocompatibilityproblem.pdf 1.35 MB · 0 downloads

An example of a PDF whether the embedded font was not available and additionally there was a PDF compatibility issue (placed PDF was v. 1.7 and PDF version used when exporting was 1.4):

barcodefonts_missingfont_compatibilityproblem.pdf 1.34 MB · 1 download  

In both export PDFs the EPS file works without problems.

thank you much for all the info!

10 hours ago, Row13 said:

I never installed the font it just came with the barcode. But I changed the barcode font to what was already in the Font Manager and it cleared the error. Thanks for the reply

If you didn’t install the font, it isn’t hugely surprising that the app reported it as missing when trying to use it!

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)