You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo 2.0.4 crashes more than AP V1

Hi, I was able to open your NEF file in Photo 2.0.4 on macOS and develop it without any issues so perhaps this is specific to Windows. Are you just opening it and choosing Develop or are there any other steps?

Which version of Windows?

Could you upload a crash report for Serif to review?

Cheers

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

I'm not seeing a problem, Windows 10.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

Sample file opens and develops fine in Affinity Photo V1 and V2 on my ancient Windows 10 PC, my Mac Mini and my iPad Pro.

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

• Staff

I spent 10 minutes in the Develop Persona making adjustments, adding presets and switching back and forth. I then developed the image and did further adjustments etc. with no issues. This was all developing to 32 bit with HDR enabled. 

I'm failing to see what we are supposed to be testing here @GreenSWOhio You haven't provided any background information such as steps, system specs, crash reports etc. Until we have that, there's not much I can suggest unfortunately. 

Well Thanks. To tell the truth, I did not expect anyone to respond - that is based on experience in other forums, I have little to no experience here. 

I've worked a bit more with this image & got past the issue.

Initially I was dragging the image onto an AP2 work in progress. What I did not know was that this process created an "image" layer instead of a "pixel" layer. I did not know there was such a thing as an image layer. So I tried to manipulate it like a pixel layer. Very quickly AP2 became unresponsive. 

Unfortunately AP2 becomes unresponsive often on my Dell XPS, 10 Core i-9, 32GB RAM just like AP1 did before on the same machine, or on my old Asus laptop. AP2 is not stable, I end up rebooting the machine several times a week while using AP2 for perhaps 2-4 hours/week. I am current on AP2 2.0.4.

Of course, I don't want to become an expert at diagnosing AP2 problems. So I shut everything down & reboot. 

I've used Corel PSP for years & have the current 2023 release. I like it, and it makes more sense to me. But AP has features I like & I'd like to convert to it full time. But what I really want is a finished image, not to be an AP expert.

Of course I have looked at some AP tutorials & help files. Much of what is out there seems to address AP1 rather than 2. 

Thanks again for your time & interest. I am surprised.

Green

2 hours ago, GreenSWOhio said:

Well Thanks. To tell the truth, I did not expect anyone to respond - that is based on experience in other forums, I have little to no experience here. 

I've worked a bit more with this image & got past the issue.

Initially I was dragging the image onto an AP2 work in progress. What I did not know was that this process created an "image" layer instead of a "pixel" layer. I did not know there was such a thing as an image layer. So I tried to manipulate it like a pixel layer. Very quickly AP2 became unresponsive. 

Unfortunately AP2 becomes unresponsive often on my Dell XPS, 10 Core i-9, 32GB RAM just like AP1 did before on the same machine, or on my old Asus laptop. AP2 is not stable, I end up rebooting the machine several times a week while using AP2 for perhaps 2-4 hours/week. I am current on AP2 2.0.4.

Of course, I don't want to become an expert at diagnosing AP2 problems. So I shut everything down & reboot. 

I've used Corel PSP for years & have the current 2023 release. I like it, and it makes more sense to me. But AP has features I like & I'd like to convert to it full time. But what I really want is a finished image, not to be an AP expert.

Of course I have looked at some AP tutorials & help files. Much of what is out there seems to address AP1 rather than 2. 

Thanks again for your time & interest. I am surprised.

Green

You did not mention you were not opening and developing (cooking) your RAW files directly first, instead you are using PLACE command / drag and drop which will bring your image into a new document as a ‘image’ layer which is like a scalable vector, maintaining full resolution no matter how large or small you place the image in your document. 

If you simply opened your RAW images directly you would have been led to the Develop persona and would have been automatically supplied with a pixel image layer and likely not had any problems.

If you do not want to do the extra steps required for RAW file development, you may be  better off selecting JPG as the file format in your camera for ease of use, as the camera manufacturer knows the best way to cook the RAW images to get the best results and may give you superior results in fewer steps than your current workflow.

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

• Staff
19 hours ago, GreenSWOhio said:

10 Core i-9, 32GB RAM

I have this with an RTX 3080 and have absolutely no performance issues or related crashes. I think if you are crashing with hardware like that, you are more than likely encountering a software bug as opposed to running out of resources related crash. 

If you notice a pattern or particluar area where you crash, that's what we need to focus our attention to. Crash reports and a recipe are what the developers usually require to diagnose and fix any issues.

It was suggested I turn hardware acceleration off. So I did that. We'll see. But it seems crazy to turn acceleration off.

I have an NVIDIA 2070 / 8 GB RAM and an integrated Intel 630.

My 3480x2160 BenQ display is plugged into the 2070, and a Dell 1920x1080 display is plugged into the 630. 

Dell tells me that applications should work while I am using both graphics systems.

I like the abilities of AP2, but it seems to crash often. It crashed while I was typing this response. The recovery file seems to have preserved everything I was doing.

image.png.b05a5c6e7da122d20f1e3745cc68dc58.png