You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher: Text inset adjustments by .01" per arrow press. Missing from V.2? Why?

We are a newspaper publisher in the US. Our layout is based on inches. We moved to Affinity Publisher three years ago.

In Affinity Publisher 1.X, when we use the up and down arrows while the cursor is in the text box inset dialog box, the increment moves up by .01" which is the control we want. In Publisher 2.0, the increment is in .1" when pressing "Option" or otherwise whole inches only. Why did this change?  Obviously, this won't work well with narrow columnar text. We are a newspaper and use a lot of text boxes and set the inset by clicking the little up-down arrow icons beside the inset boxes all the time. How do we get the increment to increase .01" at a time like in 1.X version of Publisher? 

Image 2-1-23 at 11.07 AM.jpeg

Have you tried using Command instead of Option?

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

On Windows, for both V1 and V2, in those fields when the document is in inches:

• Arrow up/down is .01 inch
  • Ctrl+Arrow up/down is .001 inch

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

For me on my Mac it is like the OP mentioned -- in V2 the increment is 0.1 while in V1 it is 0.01 inch.

EDIT: To be clear about this, I (& I think the OP as well) am talking about the up/down buttons in the Insets field, not the cursor up/down keyboard keys.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I tested all the combinations (up/down arrow keys, mouse scroll wheel, and spinner controls) on macOS for the inset and gutter width fields. I confirmed the one regression Mike W077 reported and two issues that have been there since v1. The good news is that the effects of the arrow keys, scroll wheel, and spinner were all consistent.

Text Frame panel> Insets:

• No modifier = change by 1 mm, 1p, 1pt, or 0.01 in (v1) / 1 in (v2) - this must have been changed by accident

Text Frame panel> Gutter Width:

• No modifier = change by 1 mm, 1p, 1 pt, or 0.01 in.

Context Bar > Gutter Width:

• No modifier = change by 1 mm, 1p, 1pt, or 1 in which is inconsistent with the panel. But no change from v1.

In all cases, Option changed by 1/10th and Shift changed by 10x. For picas, the modifiers should change by 1/12th or 12x.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

2 hours ago, MikeTO said:

I tested all the combinations (up/down arrow keys, mouse scroll wheel, and spinner controls) on macOS for the inset and gutter width fields.

What do you mean by "spinner controls"?

Also, were you testing any of it using the up/down buttons to the right of the number field?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Some of these fields directly depend on the respective Decimal Places settings in Preferences > User Interface. Given that I have all units set to 6 places, some fields will increment by 0.000001…

It's a programming flaw or a bug.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

5 hours ago, loukash said:

Some of these fields directly depend on the respective Decimal Places settings in Preferences > User Interface. Given that I have all units set to 6 places, some fields will increment by 0.000001…

At least for me, the Decimal Places settings only affect the displayed decimal place values, not the increments of numeric fields like for Insets or anything else with up/down buttons.

Which fields increment by 0.000001 for you?

Affinity Photo 

4 minutes ago, R C-R said:

At least for me, the Decimal Places settings only affect the displayed decimal place values, not the increments of numeric fields like for Insets or anything else with up/down buttons.

Same for me. It's one of the first things I checked before responding in this topic.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

It's one of the first things I checked before responding in this topic.

I did that too.

Affinity Photo 

11 hours ago, R C-R said:

What do you mean by "spinner controls"?

Also, were you testing any of it using the up/down buttons to the right of the number field?

Spinners or steppers are the common names for the pair of up/down buttons to the right of a text field. Apple named them "little arrows" when they added them to System 8 but that name didn't stick and they now call them stepper controls. Microsoft calls them spin controls.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

34 minutes ago, R C-R said:

• all document units fields in the Text Frame panel
  • all document units fields in the Table panel
  • all document units fields in the Paragraph panel
  • correspondingly all document units fields in the Text Styles window

Thinking of earlier bugs in Affinity and the fact that some of you aren't seeing this, I suspect a connection to the global decimal separator, possibly also the Affinity language preference. Which in my case is a bit "ambivalent" in order to work around the decades old MacOS bugs with the Swiss language settings: Although the default Swiss decimal separator should be a period, I have to use a comma because otherwise some other apps' math would collapse. (I don't remember which apps, possibly it was FileMaker.)

4 hours ago, Pauls said:

I've logged the issue

@Pauls, my setup on MacOS El Capitan where the increments by 0.000001 happen is:

• Affinity language: En US
  • MacOS primary language: En (unspecified flavor, but generally it's US)
  • MacOS region: Switzerland (customized)
  • Format language: German
  • Number separators: thousands: none, decimal: comma
  • Currency separators: thousands: apostrophe, decimal: period (Swiss standard)

On Catalina it's similar although the MacOS language and format settings provide less options, but in Affinity v2 it's the same issue nonetheless.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

7 hours ago, loukash said:
8 hours ago, R C-R said:

• all document units fields in the Text Frame panel
  • all document units fields in the Table panel
  • all document units fields in the Paragraph panel
  • correspondingly all document units fields in the Text Styles window

None of them do for me. It doesn't matter what I set the Decimal Places for Unit Types to in Preferences >User Interface. I guess this has something to do with the global decimal separator?

Affinity Photo 

On 2/1/2023 at 2:22 PM, R C-R said:

For me on my Mac it is like the OP mentioned -- in V2 the increment is 0.1 while in V1 it is 0.01 inch.

EDIT: To be clear about this, I (& I think the OP as well) am talking about the up/down buttons in the Insets field, not the cursor up/down keyboard keys.

Yes, that's right. Because we use so many text boxes with insets, it really makes V.2 nearly unusable for us. When we drop the tet box into a space, we often have to adjust the insets slightly, by 1/100ths, to get the text to fit properly. Why was this changed? Is it a European thing at the expense of American usage? 

On 2/2/2023 at 8:04 AM, Pauls said:

I've added a note about the number of decimal places affecting the default increments

Thank you. We really can't use the upgrade until this is fixed, and since Designer 2.X files can't be placed in Publisher 1.X, both 2.X programs are not useable for us at this time. Bummer, I was looking forward to implementing versions 2.X into our workflow.

1 minute ago, Mike W077 said:

Because we use so many text boxes with insets, it really makes V.2 nearly unusable for us.

Can't you just enter the numeric value in the field manually?

Affinity Photo 

On 2/1/2023 at 1:42 PM, walt.farrell said:

I'm envious. Definitely not for the Mac versions. Everything is set for inches, but the "spinner" controls (Just learned that term here) only work by whole inches or, with Option-click up spinner arrow, in tenths — .1 instead of .01. Tried every key combination I could think of. No joy. Bummer, because we need that fine control. 

On 2/1/2023 at 5:31 PM, MikeTO said:

I tested all the combinations (up/down arrow keys, mouse scroll wheel, and spinner controls) on macOS for the inset and gutter width fields. I confirmed the one regression Mike W077 reported and two issues that have been there since v1. The good news is that the effects of the arrow keys, scroll wheel, and spinner were all consistent.

Text Frame panel> Insets:

• No modifier = change by 1 mm, 1p, 1pt, or 0.01 in (v1) / 1 in (v2) - this must have been changed by accident

Text Frame panel> Gutter Width:

• No modifier = change by 1 mm, 1p, 1 pt, or 0.01 in.

Context Bar > Gutter Width:

• No modifier = change by 1 mm, 1p, 1pt, or 1 in which is inconsistent with the panel. But no change from v1.

In all cases, Option changed by 1/10th and Shift changed by 10x. For picas, the modifiers should change by 1/12th or 12x.

Thank you.

On 2/2/2023 at 1:49 AM, loukash said:

It's a programming flaw or a bug.

I checked and rechecked that too. I think that is the display number places, not the adjustment increments. 😞

• 2 weeks later...