You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Retrieve from a don't save no no

Hello,

I don't want to embarrass myself but I will. I have just downloaded publisher and photo today. I had someone creating things for me but they are now ill. I have -No- design experience. 

I spent a couple of hours on publisher and all went well until I hopped over to photo and starting working between the two. Well, I ended up hitting don't save on the wrong app. There went my two hours of pub app work. 

Anyway to get my work back without restarting? I'm sure I know the answer but just want to be sure.  Thanks for your help and understanding. 

There is no way if the work has never been saved in either app. If it has been saved in either one and you have a backup system in place like Time Machine on a Mac you might be able to revert to the previously saved version.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

6 hours ago, Liliane said:

Well, I ended up hitting don't save on the wrong app. There went my two hours of pub app work. 

How, by just closing the app and when it asked to save you said no? - In such cases there are chances that you next time when opening the app will be informed that there is unsafed file data and if you want to recover that.

But if you closed via Ctrl-/Cmd-W the document without saving and thus just didn't closed the whole app, then you've loosed here.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Thank you for the direction from both respondents. 
it looks like I will be starting over. I’ve learned my lesson. Not all programs have auto save. It’s a testament to that which you take for granted. 
Again thank you. Happy Thursday! 

Look into the apps preferences here ... there you can setup  ...

General options

• Choose whether to restore the last session when launching the application.

Performance options

• File Recovery Interval—sets the interval for saving temporary data for currently open documents, allowing a document restore to be offered at startup if the app develops a fault.

... and so on.

Though periodicallyperforming  manually forced saving is always a goof idea and thing to do either way!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

4 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Performance options

• File Recovery Interval—sets the interval for saving temporary data for currently open documents, allowing a document restore to be offered at startup if the app develops a fault.

At least on Macs, this restore feature is not reliable unless the app fault results in a crash (the app unexpectedly quits).

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

11 minutes ago, R C-R said:

At least on Macs, this restore feature is not reliable unless the app fault results in a crash (the app unexpectedly quits).

Works well for me for V1 apps, without any app crashing needed.

7 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Works well for me for V1 apps, without any app crashing needed.

In both V1 & V2 it sometimes works for me, but other times it does not offer the restore option.

Affinity Photo 

I am grateful for the kind offers of help and in pretty straight English. As u have gathered I’m not that tech savvy or I would find myself in this predicament. 
All suggestions tried but unfortunately to no avail. Appreciate the help and support. And yes, manual saving at reg intervals is the way to go. 
Great program and wonderful support. 
Many many thanks to All. 
I have to travel but wish you a super weekend ahead!😃