You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher – Save failed. Changes to file are not allowed.

Arrrggh. 
Relatively big file 42 mb. Been working on it for about a year. Mostly it is Affinity designer illustrations on pages. Upgraded to Publisher 2. 

Has been working fine till recently. 
On a Mac Mini M1 Ventura latest updates. 
Publisher 2.04

Now getting:

Save failed. Changes to file are not allowed.

So moved file off attached USBC drive, saved to desktop. 
Still getting error. 
Sometimes it works after a few tries, like after you go off and check a forum. Save as to the same directory (desktop) works. 

Grrrr. 

Some Afinity designer files when edited through Publisher are having the same save issue. 

Any suggestions welcome. 

Rob 

Screenshot 2023-02-01 at 12.34.12 pm.png

Hi Rob, I get this message sometimes on my M1 Pro with Ventura. I'm saving to iCloud with a lot of linked resources in iCloud. When I try moving the files to a non-iCloud folder on the same drive the problem goes away.

Is your desktop in iCloud? (System Settings > click your Apple ID > iCloud Drive > Options, is Desktop & Documents Folders selected?) If so, try saving to a non-iCloud folder.

Fortunately, I've never lost data with this error, I just choose Save As and create a new file and continue on my way. It does make me a bit nervous so I make regular backups.

Cheers

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

Hi Mike. 

I’m very old school. No iCloud, no google drive, not even Dropbox. I am somewhat steadfast about having my stuff local and on gear I control. I do use Dropbox for shunting but not working off. 

So my set up is M1 with USBC 1TB Solid state drive for the working files, leave the native drive with no working files on it at all. I need it to have its thinking space, about 170 gig free. I have had warnings that the software has run out of memory at 50gig, there is only 8 on my M1 so its synthesising ram on the in built hard drive, hence the file free approach. 

This one project is 24 gig. The one chapter I was having save issues with is connected to 2.2 gig of 300 plus designer files. All this is backed up to a 4TB time machine drive and also to a Mac mini sever by Sync Folders Pro.  That server is then copied to a NAS. 

So had the file issue on the USBC Drive directly connected and also after I moved the file to the desktop. Was able to save as so didn’t lose that file but… 
Was in the process of editing designer file inside publisher and the publisher file corrupted. Had to retrieve old copy from mac mini. 

It could be I had too many designer and publisher files open/opening each other, hard to say. 

Side note: went to use the time machine back up and it completely failed to allow me to even go back to any point it had recorded, so yet to investigate what the hell is happening there. 

Today, all seems to be working fine. Yes I get nervous about this too. I appreciate you saying hello. 

Cheers Rob