You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

(1) Previous file opening, (2) Arranging Multiple Open Files by Dragging fFle Tabs

Maybe I'm just missing a couple of things here, but I'm not seeing better options for these issues.  So, I thought I'd just mention them:

The fewer clicks we have to make, the more work we can get done, and the less amount of mental distraction to our creative thought patterns and processes.

(1) At the end of my day, I need to shutdown my work.  The next day, I have to re-open it.  If I've had say, five or more files open and in progress at the end of that earlier day, when I go to re-open them, I have to do each separately, which is tedious and frankly, unnecessary.  If simple check boxes could be put in front of the files in the drop-downs: File/Open Recent, we could just check the boxes we want and with one click open them all.  MUCH FASTER AND EFFICIENT!  (Also, allowing an option in the Preferences so we can adjust how many files we want listed in the Open Recent dialogue box would be helpful.)  BTW, the label should be "Open Recently", not "Open Recent":  grammar counts.....

(2)  When I have multiple files open each has a  tab along the top, above the ruler (assuming the Show Ruler option is active).  If I go to re-arrange those tabs by sliding them left or right, it's a MESS.  they either slip out of the sequence, or open in their own box.  Not good.  Could that tab line be made a titch taller?  Or, could there be a mouse right-click option to provide a drop-down ordering selection box???

Just a couple of thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

RickyO
APhADe and APu user
New User as of Mar, 2018
(Still stumbling along given too many directions at any given moment)
Windows10 platform

On 1/31/2023 at 4:20 PM, RickyO said:

BTW, the label should be "Open Recently", not "Open Recent":  grammar counts.....

For example https://docs.gimp.org/2.10/en/gimp-file-open-recent.html
image.png.79dc88a820efe67b653d3165fa2e3ffe.png

However, to avoid grammatical problems, this could also be used
image.png.6c2741f93e239fb7e222ee6cd2ae7810.png

I take it for granted that you can set parameters for using previously opened files (it was mentioned here so long ago and so many times that I don't even believe in it anymore).
image.png.833c50ee551dd2271ac4c626c99828b2.png

I especially miss the option to clean items from non-existent files - today clicking on non-existent files and confirming the message that the file no longer exists is really "cool".

The previous screenshot shows "Projects". I think this is also the way to solve your previous problem with opening several files at once. It would be nice if you could create a "Project", define several files (images, texts) in it, and then work with it "more conveniently". So allow all project images to be opened, direct them to the project files first when using Place commands, etc...

image.png

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.