You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Small but beautiful changes needed

Input boxes have changed their behaviour in V2.

When I change image or canvas size, or when exporting, the first input box used to be ready for entry. Now you have to click on it. That's backwards UI design for me.

And Tab should cycle through all the available input boxes.

Legibility of icons has got worse e.g. the unlock/lock proportions chain link icon: it's very hard to see the difference.

Also tools on the toolbar are less legible e.g. the burn/dodge/sponge tools are hard to distinguish on a laptop screen in light mode. I'm having to work in dark mode when my preference is for light.

I haven't felt any gains in upgrading, so with these small but irritating niggles, I am feeling a little regretful.

There are a lot of problems with the Tab key not working as we users of computers have come to expect it to work. All three of the Affinity applications have shortcomings regarding this. Plus there are problems with getting out of the fields. I expect Tab to enter the value and go to the next input box if there is one. I expect Enter and/or Return to enter the value and retain focus, a second hit to the key should Exit the field. I expect the Escape key to cancel the new value, retain the original value and Exit the field.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Yup, Bruce. I agree. Let's hope it's a small enough change to make it into the next build.

There are also problems with responses to up/down arrow key in input boxes e.g. Gamma in Levels can be set to three decimal places, but arrow keys leap integer amounts.