You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Bring to front Master Page items

mswift

If I have multiple pages with an image on each page and I want to watermark (from a Master Page) placed across each image. The watermark item always places under the page pics instead of on top. This can be done in the layers panel but only one page at a time. Am I missing something?image.png.6251d63c63aba79175d1fc0fb372b292.png

On one of the pages that has the watermark on it right-click the Master page layer and select Edit > Linked

Then do Layer > Arrange > Move to Front and click the Finish button at the top of the screen

You may need to scroll through the pages to see them update

If you add more watermarked pages repeat the above or wait until the end of the project and just do it once

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

1 minute ago, mswift said:

Thanks carl, but what about applying the master page from the master page to all pages not one page at a time.

The instructions I gave should do that

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Hm, I could have used that a few months ago 😄

Now I just wanted to see how you do it and could not get it to work (Windows here, but these things should be the same).

What I have:

• a master spread with 3 layers: Background, middle, and top.
  • a few pages with applied master and some objects / layers on them

The master layer appears on bottom of the page layers. Thats OK, if it were only used for background purposes. But I want to have the "top" layer on top of all of my pages, and the "background" on the background.

I have seen the "edit>linked" but "Layer > Arrange > Move to Front" can only move layers inside the master group. Since the master group is on the bottom of the page layer, my desired "top" layer never goes to the top... I can manually drag the "top" layer out of the master layer, but this works only on the current page and of course removes the layer from the master page.

What am I doing wrong?

...still think Publisher needs to "mimic" Indesign more when it comes to master pages... Just use the same layers throughout masters and regular pages. Do not group master objects on the pages. 

2 hours ago, k_au said:

What am I doing wrong?

Trying to do that with a single Master Page. You probably need 3.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 2/3/2023 at 10:29 AM, k_au said:

What am I doing wrong?

You are most likely thinking of another application and something called Global Layers. Publisher does not have Global Layers. As Walt said you most likely need three Master Pages. Name the Master Pages Top Middle and Bottom, don't bother with any "Layers" just put the stuff in there that you want at the top and then in the middle Master put the stuff that you want in the middle etc.

Master pages are only really for things which you want on all pages (to which that Master Page is applied). I use it for Page Numbers and linked Text Frames in a book.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.