You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Creating translucent images like glass, plastic?

Hello,

I am learning Affinity Designer and have bookmarked all the tutorials online. I have learned a lot so far, but now am struggling with trying to learn how to create a translucent image like a lens or a piece of glass. I have not found one lesson for this and would sure appreciate some help.

This screenshot was taken from one of the Affinity videos, but unfortunately it was teaching something other than what I am wanting to learn. This shows the type of technique I'm searching for....the bubbles and the obvious plastic parts.

Thank you in advance,

post-27258-0-65822300-1455323173_thumb.png

I am no expert. Just an amateur.

I would recommend this Affinity Tutorial.

This should give you many ideas.  

My next recommendation, if possible, is to use the File-Edit in Photo option.  This will give you access to the Filters in Affinity Photo, and one you might find useful is the spherical filter to add to a lens type shape.  

I don't know if it is still free, but there was a nice tutorial on Envito Tuts, called Create a Friendly, Futuristic Robot in Affinity Designer by Yulia Sokolova from Nov 15.  She had a lot of nice, basic techniques that you might find useful too.

There is also a post in Share your work of a lens. You may want to take a look at that, and direct a question to the creator if you find anything they did interesting or helpful.  

Last, as you showed, you can download the sample files offered by Affinity, and look at how they were constructed.

Good luck.  Hopefully, some of what I threw out there you might find useful.

Thank so much for your for your response. You did offer some helpful thoughts. I don't use Affinity Photo. I have watched the tutorial that you suggested, and it actually DID lead me forward in what I'm looking to do. I have watched most all of the videos, and some of them several times, each. The photo I included in my post was not from a sample, but a screen shot from one of the tutorials, so it gives no sequence of construction. I will take a look at the rest of the ideas you put forth.

Yesterday, finally, after many tries, I was finally able to create this. I am pleased with it, but my technique still needs more work. The 'glass' needs to be more sparkly and shinier. I only hope I can duplicate what I've done so far. Thank you for your time and suggestions.

I posted this and my attachment doesn't show...so apparently I don't know how to do that, even though I did it before.

Xabbess, it's a very complex task to create the glass bobble/look thing. Good luck to you! 

I don't think you have permission to post pictures when you only have 2 posts.

If you can post it in a picture host site, and post a link. (Sorry for my bad English, I mean Flickr or something like that)

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

Thank you.  really wanted to post what I was finally able to achieve! I don't use a photo hosting site, so perhaps if I wait, I will be allowed to do so directly on here. I wonder why/how I was able to attach a photo with my very first post?  I appreciate your time and input. (no apologies about bad English...it is my only language, so you are more educated than me. I know many who use English as their first and only language and manage to butcher it worse than anyone who might speak it as a second language)

Thank you so much! :)

How and why this photo calamities happen, I'm not sure. 

I know several people forget to click the "Post more Options" button.  Did you try that?

("Photo hosting site" was the term I was looking for  haha.)

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

@BlauerClaus...I did click that button and my image uploaded, but it was only text, no image. So when I did a preview of my message, I was expecting to be able to see the actual image, but it didn't work. Frustrating. As you can see, I was able to do it in my very first post, but cannot seem to do it anymore. Thanks, though.

From what I can tell, for attachments it is a two step process: first you have to choose the file, then attach it. Even if you just want it to use the "Add to Post" feature, you still have to attach it.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

That's what I thought...and that's what I did. Must be doing something wrong. At this point, the whole post has changed into a different subject  ;). That's sure not to say that I don't appreciate everyone's input and suggestions....but I'm still wanting to find out if anyone knows how to create a translucent image like glass or bubbles. I work at it every day and have yet to make the 'discovery'. Hopefully time and practice will show the way. Thank you to everyone.