You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Erase blending mode is not 100% effective

Corgi

This is in Windows 10 Pro 22H2, using Designer 2.0.4. Hardware acceleration is disabled.

Clipping a curve to another curve, and using the Erase blend mode doesn't perfectly erase around the edges -- it leaves a hairline ghost image of the erased curve.

image.png.a2381f4284511cfdeced4ada098b7c55.png

The ghost outline also appears in exported files, so it's not just a display problem.

This same thing also happens in v1. I also note that if the containing curve has a stroke applied, the stroke isn't erased at all (perhaps this is normal).

I know that there are workarounds for this bug, but wanted to report it.

Edited by Corgi
Added info on system config

Can you upload an example as affinity document format?

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Interesting. No curves if you keep them as artistic text / fonts. Start to show anti-aliasing hair line when converted to curve.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

can you tell us your workarounds? Those anti-aliasing issues drive me crazy. Some are easy to avoid or work around, others are unsolvable.

Ah, in you file the curve in erase mode is an open curve with stroke only. If you expand stroke (Designer), issue is gone.

This issue is triggered when strokes come into play -> explains why fonts are not affected because normally you use fill color and no stroke.

Edited by NotMyFault

Another factor: the curves of individual layers are merged into one layer.

when you separate the  curves, group them, and apply erase curve to group, issue is avoided.

Thank you for experimenting, @NotMyFault. I had figured that workarounds were possible by grouping and applying the Erase to the group, as you did. I also assumed that I could use masking instead of the Erase blend mode for at least most applications.

It's a bit frustrating. I've just started experimenting with Designer, and already have run into bugs that I presume the developers would have stumbled upon pretty quickly (like this one). In fact, if you look at the file I attached and just look at the layer curved lettering, I tried doing a Geometry/Add function on it, and the result was horrible.

Oh well, fingers crossed for 2.0.5. Although since all three bugs I've found so far also exist in v1, I'm not getting my hopes up.

7 hours ago, Corgi said:

Oh well, fingers crossed for 2.0.5

Personally I’m less optimistic about the timeline. Maybe in 5.0.2 🧓🏼

5 minutes ago, Pauls said:

I've added this report ot the issue - our notes state that 'Setting antialiasing to Force Off in Blend Ranges' hides the outline

I do see that using Force Off in blend ranges will eliminate the outline, which is good. The issue is that I didn't even use Blend Ranges dialog in this example, so I'd be surprised if someone simply using the Erase blend mode will know how to fix this.