You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo 2 won't open the print dialogue box on Ventura

Please can someone help, I am trying to print from Affinity Photo 2 after it has upgraded, and now I can't get into the print dialogue box, have tried command P and file Print but neither respond. I am on a new iMac running Ventura. Printer is Epson Sure Color P800.  It was working perfectly before today. When I opened the App today, it said there was an update to download. Having done it, it now won't respond

On my end, AP 2.0.4 is working properly on macOS Ventura. For troubleshooting, I would recommend downloading a new copy from the Affinity site in the event your installed copy has a corruption. Once done, if Affinity is still not working properly, I would perform a Safe Boot on the Mac, then restart your mac once again.

Retired and living into the dream of photography and the digital darkroom

---

M2 Mac Studio 32GB Ram | BenQ 272W Monitor | Wacom Pro Tablet

Affinity V1, V2, and Betas | PhotoLab 7

Canon EOS 5D Mark III

Canon Pro 1000

Thank you so much for this rcsilber, I will try and hopefully sort. Much appreciated 

Sadly, I have tried this and to no avail. Can print from Version 1 on my MacBook Pro running Catalina though

The workaround at the moment is to export the final image as a jpeg from Affinity 2, then open in Preview and print from there. I can use the print profiles and my saved print settings. It isn’t ideal, but I suspect I’ll have to wait for another update from Affinity 🙂

• Staff

There have been a few reports regarding printing in Ventura but I haven't come across any where the print dialog is not being called. The suggestion to reinstall the apps was fair, however you can try taking it a step further by resetting the app - this will reset some settings that a reinstall will not touch:

1. Launch the app with (ctrl) held down until a Clear User Data dialog appears.
  2. Press the Select All button then press the Clear button. Note this will reset everything to app defaults - user preferences, palettes, macros, everything.
  3. If you want to reset just the UI and user prefs leave just the first three checkboxes ticked and press the Clear button.

4 hours ago, Chris B said:

There have been a few reports regarding printing in Ventura but I haven't come across any where the print dialog is not being called.

I'd replied to one of these other threads today and I wonder if they're all related.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

Tried clearing the data Chris B, thought I’d sorted it, went into print dialogue box, sorted my preset and profile, clicked print and just hung up. Tried closing Affinity and re opening, but went back to not going to print at all again. Ho hum, will just have to wait until the glitch is fixed. Many thanks anyway 👍👍

2 hours ago, Sam's chum said:

Tried clearing the data Chris B, thought I’d sorted it, went into print dialogue box, sorted my preset and profile, clicked print and just hung up. Tried closing Affinity and re opening, but went back to not going to print at all again. Ho hum, will just have to wait until the glitch is fixed. Many thanks anyway 👍👍

While you're trying to get this working, you could export to PDF and then print the PDF directly.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

• 1 month later...

I’m having the same problem. When I try to print from affinity 2.0 no print dialog pops up…I tried printing my document as a PDF also as a PNG. The only way I could print my document was to export it as a PDF and then open it through the preview app and then printing, I’m not sure if this affects the quality of the document and it’s not an ideal solution. I’m just confused on why all of a sudden affinity designer and affinity photo will not print my documents. It is extremely frustrating. Nothing has changed in the past couple days but last night is when I noticed the print option is not working…I use my printer for sublimation. It’s an Epson ET 15,000 connected to M1 MacBook Pro, it always worked wonderfully, what stumps me is that it can’t be my computer or printer because the preview app has no problem printing, so I’m assuming the problem lies within affinity please if anybody else can figure this out without having to uninstall and reinstall my printer,(which was a pain in the tush). Please let me know, God bless you guys…I think I will try to force quit A.D. if that doesn’t work, I guess I’ll try to reinstall the Affinity programs. P.s. I use WiFi direct to connect my laptop to my printer, thought that might be the problem but then again that’s how I printed from preview app so I’m lost…

46 minutes ago, tdull1988 said:

no print dialog pops up

Sometimes if you have a second screen connected to your device the print dialogue may be opening on that switched off screen or on a Laptop screen if the laptop is closed.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

I have also found that the profiles aren’t being saved, so if it prints at all it is completely the wrong colour! I am now exporting as a jpeg to my MacBook that has Affinity 1 and print from there. Prints are then perfect on both Epson SC 600 and SC 800. I am fairly sure it is a glitch with Venture, but just read that Serif are bringing out a Beta update, can’t wait! 

• 1 month later...

So.. After shutting down and booting back in, the Hang Up came back!!! No printing dialogue! What is going on here. I hope you don't have to clear every time. 

@Affinity what is the problem?

I had zero issues with printing on AF 1.0. Please fix this issue. 

Hello Sam, 

I enrolled in beta program to get the most recent update. I was still having the issue. I submitted a bug and got a reply. I tried the below and I go the printing to work as expected:

I cleared out all previously saved printers. Cleared user defaults (by control on launch) and created new file. Went to print it, got the print dialog and sent to printer by selecting near by printer (AirPrint SC800). 

After, I checked AP2.0.4 and it was displaying the dialog and printing successfully. Try that on your setup and check to see if it fixes it. On my machine, my printer presets were still available and did not loose them from removing the printer from system. 

Good luck. 

Hi Gitmesteak,

It is so frustrating. Went to try mine yesterday with SC600 and it worked perfectly twice! Used my saved presets and profiles with no problems whatsoever, I only tried the second print to see whether it was temporary, but worked exactly as my laptop running Catalina with Affinity 2. I hadn’t actually cleared the savings, just thought I’d give it a try, so goodness only knows what is going on unless Apple have tweaked their update. Will try it again to see. Really hope it’s for real, as it’s such a pain having to export out to laptop, and I do love the whole Affinity suite. Hope you also get some luck 🙂

Same problem here. Running Photo 2.0.4 on M1 MacBook with Ventura 13.0.1. Enter Command+P and File->Print and nothing happens. I've actually got a deadline so reverting to Photo 1. Very frustrating! Is anyone at Serif/Affinity actually looking into this?????

• Affinity Designer 2.4.2
  • Affinity Photo 2.4.2
  • Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
  • MacBook Air (M1, 2020) running macOS Sonoma v14.4.1
  • Nikon D7100 with 18-135mm zoom

http://www.dojopico.org

I can't duplicate this but try these steps as a potential workaround.

1. Quit Affinity
  2. Using another program, choose Print. If there's a preset in use change it to None. Print a page (printing to PDF is fine but choose Preset=None first).
  3. Now try starting Affinity and choosing Print.

I don't know if this will work but it might. If it doesn't work, try deleting your print presets.

Good luck

3 hours ago, afdojo said:

Same problem here. Running Photo 2.0.4 on M1 MacBook with Ventura 13.0.1. Enter Command+P and File->Print and nothing happens. I've actually got a deadline so reverting to Photo 1. Very frustrating! Is anyone at Serif/Affinity actually looking into this?????

I know this may not be your ideal solution, but if you're in a pinch with a deadline, you may Qimage. You can use it as a trial and avoid going back and forth between two Affinity programs. Only caveat is you will export your Affinity file as a tiff, which is what Qimage needs. Any further tweaks can be added as a layer for a non-destructive approach.

I've used Qimage for a long time and actually prefer it to Affinity. Your experience and/or need may differ however. Just a thought. 

Retired and living into the dream of photography and the digital darkroom

---

M2 Mac Studio 32GB Ram | BenQ 272W Monitor | Wacom Pro Tablet

Affinity V1, V2, and Betas | PhotoLab 7

Canon EOS 5D Mark III

Canon Pro 1000

24 minutes ago, rcsilber said:

I know this may not be your ideal solution, but if you're in a pinch with a deadline, you may Qimage. You can use it as a trial and avoid going back and forth between two Affinity programs. Only caveat is you will export your Affinity file as a tiff, which is what Qimage needs. Any further tweaks can be added as a layer for a non-destructive approach.

I've used Qimage for a long time and actually prefer it to Affinity. Your experience and/or need may differ however. Just a thought. 

I think it might be easier to export to PDF and then print the PDF from Preview.