You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Would I use a pixel based brush for this

Hi.. 

I am a bit of a noob and I just hunt and peck my way through until I figure out what tool I need to use to duplicate something, or till I come close enough.

The image attached is of a military patch that I need to duplicate as an image file.  The black and white checkering around the circle seems like something I should be able to maybe apply to a line using a brush.. yes?

The way I am looking at this project seems to be that I could create two circles and apply the same brush to each and just rotate the circle after so the checker pattern looks right.. does that sound about right to the more experienced designers here?

93fsblushark.jpeg

I am no expert.  But here is my opinion.

I would bring the file into Affinity Designer, and use the pen tool (primarily) to trace the patch and make it into a vector drawing.

Use primarily the ellipse tool, constrained to a circle, and the donut object or option. Depending on what you start with.

Have the text follow a path and adjust.

Use the gear object to make the checkerboard pattern, maybe.

Which is what you mean, I am assuming.

Crabtrem..  thank you !!  I'm very grateful you took the time to help out and give me a file to look at so I can see what you did.  Really, thank you!!

Looking at your file makes me wonder why I never though to look at the shapes tool and investigate that.. I have to take a course in Affinity ;)  Even the PIE tool is something I never thought to use for making the rockers.. I would just trace that with the PEN tool!  I tend to make things hard on myself  :wacko:

I am no expert.

Considering how many excellent suggestions like this one you have contributed to these forums, I think it is increasingly obvious to the rest of us that statement isn't true, even if you don't think so.  :)

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7