You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Overtones Harmonic Color Grading [free macros]

smadell

Overtones Harmonic Color Grading

Color grading is an art, and it is one that I confess I have not mastered. Nevertheless, it remains inspirational. I have a collection of LUT’s that I occasionally use, but these are “one trick ponies” – you either like the effect or not, but you can’t change them (other than by adding adjustments after the fact).

I took some inspiration from a video about a Photoshop panel called “Infinite Color.” Specifically, there is a portion of this panel that allows the user to color grade photos based on a variety of color harmonies. While the availability of plug-ins and panels is on many a wish list for Affinity Photo, I am submitting these macros which attempt to accomplish something similar.

*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *

I am including a set of macros for color grading images. Each macro is based on a specific color harmony, and they include (i) Complimentary; (ii) Split Complementary; (iii) Triadic; (iv) Square; (v) Tetradic; (vi) Analogous; and (vii) Monochromatic. The chart below should explain the color wheel angles used for each of these harmonies.

708392702_ColorHarmonies(small).thumb.jpg.872995d969d01953a64cb1c7206702a2.jpg

The macros are attached as a Macro Category, and can be imported into the Library panel. (Do not try to import them into the Macro panel; this will fail.) The macros were created in Affinity Photo version 1, so you should be able to import them into either version 1 or version 2 of the application. They can also be imported into either version of the iPad app, although in my testing they are still a bit glitchy on the iPad.

*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *

To use the macros, click on the macro that corresponds to the desired color harmony. You will be presented with a number of choices, which can tailor the result as desired. Change the hue by setting the desired angle (using 0 as red on a standard color wheel). You can change the Saturation, Luminance, and overall Strength of the effect within the same dialog box. Click “Apply” when you’ve reached a result you like.

There are two additional macros in the category. “Delete Existing” will look for a group named “Overtones Color Grade” and will delete the group. You should be aware that each of the macros has a “Delete” function among its first steps; if you have tried one color harmony and want to replace it with a different one, you can simply click on the macro for the new harmony and the original color grade will be removed.
“Rename Existing” will also look for a group named “Overtones Color Grade” but will rename it to “Color Grading.” This latter choice allows you to stack multiple harmonic color grades, if you desire.

Shown below is an example. The photo on the left was treated with an Analogous color grade, using the settings shown. The Original and Color Graded versions are noted.

1950643169_OvertonesHarmonies(smaller).thumb.jpg.a5b3a2954d5ce509e19b5029113b23f9.jpg

I’ve attached a small PDF file that explains the macros in more detail, and includes images of how they are best used. Keep this as a reference, if you like.

As with all of the macros I have submitted over the years, please remember that I am one person with one computer (and one iPad). This allows me to test on a limited number of images. There is no way to have foreseen all possible scenarios. I believe (but obviously cannot guarantee) that you will be happy with the results.

If you like the macros, please keep them and enjoy them. They are yours to use freely. What I ask in return is simply this: leave a comment below, letting me know if you’re using the macros and (hopefully) that you’re enjoying them. Remember that we users benefit from each other’s knowledge. Never forget to “pay it forward” and contribute to the forum in whatever ways you can.

Have a wonderful 2023. Stay healthy, contented, and fulfilled.

Round Two…

The original Zip file that was attached to this post did not actually contain the macros! Oops. I've deleted that zip file and attached the .afmacros file and the pdf as two separate downloads. Hopefully, everything works as it should. (Thanks, @Twolane for letting me know that things got upside-down and backward!)

Overtones Harmonic Color Grading.afmacros How to Use Overtones Harmonic Color Grading.pdf

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

I've gone ahead and corrected the attachments. The original post in this thread now has the correct files. Sorry for the confusion!

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

I hope they work out for you, @Waltarus!