You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello there!

I was learning and practicing about colors and shades etc. I found something strange, that was strange for me, because I am not very much familiar with all color things. Here experts must know about these color things.

When we write

RGB 0, 255, 255 -- that shows a result in ----------------(1)

CMYK as => 52, 0, 13, 0 ----------(2)

and when we write

CMYK 100, 0, 0, 0 -- that shows a result in ---------------(3)

RGB as => 0, 174, 239 ------------(4)

But, when we write back

RGB 0, 174, 239 -- that shows a result in -----------------(5)

CMYK as => 69, 15, 0, 0 -----------(6)

And when we write back

CMYK 69, 15, 0, 0 -- that shows a result in ---------------(7)

RGB as => 46, 171, 226 -----------(8)

Now, fill results of objects on screen are same for (4) and (6), and different for (6) and (8).

Also,

What is the different between CMYK 100, 0, 0, 0 and RGB 0, 255, 255 as both are Cyan Colors, what I understand, and which is correct?

What color system we should follow?

Is there any error in Affinity Designer App or its something else?

Regards

Nadeem Khatri

If your (1) through (8) were supposed to be image attachments, I'm not seeing any sign of them.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

6 minutes ago, MattP said:

...and the answer to your questions, is almost certainly: Colour Profiles! :)

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

12 minutes ago, MattP said:

Unfortunately with the addition that colour format conversions in Affinity produce really strange buggy results, depending on colour is applied to vector object or pixel object.

and

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

2 hours ago, MattP said:

Thanks MattP.

It seems that it is the right answer for my query, as I checked the same in CorelDRAW.

Further,  I did not get answer for the numbers as color values, when we put same number values, the result changes????

Thanks

2 hours ago, MattP said:

Thanks MattP.

It seems that it is the right answer for my query, as I checked the same in CorelDRAW.

Further,  I did not get answer for the numbers as color values, when we put same number values, the result changes????

Thanks

• Staff

Everything is going to the screen with screen profiles applied, taking into account the document format and colour profiles. You should find you get the same colour results with the same setups in all other colour-managed applications. I'm fairly certain it's all acting correctly (or at least, it certainly used to and I can't imagine why it has changed, lol!)

It's not an incredibly complicated area, but it's lengthy to explain - take a browse through some 'colour management for screen' google searches :)

1 hour ago, MattP said:

It's not an incredibly complicated area, but it's lengthy to explain - take a browse through some 'colour management for screen' google searches :)

Yes it is not complicated, rather it needs practice on applications.

By the way Google has more complicated results as everyone has ones own perceptions.

Thanks a lot