You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Allow Selection to Consider Items Inside a Group is undocumented

MikeTO

I believe "Allow Selection to Consider Items Inside a Group" isn't mentioned anywhere in the online help system and although it's fairly obvious it could stand to be documented.

Was this a new feature in v2? I'm not very familiar with it.

Thanks

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

Yes, it is a new feature in the v2 apps.

Note that it should be named "Allow Selection to Consider Nested Items" since it makes clip-nested objects be directly selectable, in addition to group-nested objects.

The button only appears in the context toolbar of the Move Tool, and only when something is already selected.

In my opinion, the button should be in the main toolbar since we might want to toggle that selectability when using any tool that can select objects, and we shouldn't need to already have a selection in order to access the button.

3 hours ago, ,,, said:

Note that it should be named "Allow Selection to Consider Nested Items" since it makes clip-nested objects be directly selectable, in addition to group-nested objects.

The button only appears in the context toolbar of the Move Tool, and only when something is already selected.

In my opinion, the button should be in the main toolbar since we might want to toggle that selectability when using any tool that can select objects, and we shouldn't need to already have a selection in order to access the button.

I think it should have a simple name like most tools - Select Inside might be better.

The tool only appears with the Move tool but its selection is active with all tools - click a group with the Rectangle or Node tool and it will select inside. But you can't turn it off without changing to the Move tool. So this could stand to be improved and perhaps it should also be in the menu so a keyboard shortcut could be assigned.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

• Staff

Hi Mike,

It looks like its labelled incorrectly in the help as 'Select Item in Group' and is found in both Object Control > Selecting Objects and Tools > Design Tools > Move Tool.

I will pass it on to the documentation team, and will also pass the general feedback over to development about improvements to the tool.