You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

No correct color separation anymore!!

Not able to produce clean color separation for CMYK print anymore from Designer 2.0.4 and Publisher (Mac Monterey)

I did set all black text to 100% black 0 0 0 and overprint. Color setting of the document cmyk and fogra 27

I did export to Print (druckerei-fertig) PDF as I ever did but when I check in Acrobat (set fogra27), black ist not just 100% black but has all kinds of colors.

What is happening here?

I just added to this post I found, that happened to be in Bugs report. But I wanted to get to know from you, if you see the same thing?

Bildschirmfoto 2023-01-30 um 08.47.48.png

I have no other method how to check separation. Is this really an Affinity Export BUG or an Acrobat problem?

Furthermore, I get a better result when I construct a simple new test document "separation test.pdf" with the same black settings, black is 100%, but still overprint is not workin.

In the real document (I include an excerpt here called "test main.pdf") I use the same 100% black setting, and the exported PDF (same settings) does not even make it 100% black.

find all files included here

test main.afdesign test main.pdf separation test.pdf separation test.afdesign

It seems that you have the document CMYK color space of your document set to Coated Fogra 39. If you at export time change the color profile to Coated Fogra 27, this will cause recalculation of all native CMYK values and also CMYK values of placed images with conflicting embedded color profiles.

In order to pass through existing CMYK color values, you need to match the document CMYK color profile with the target by using File > Document Setup > Color. If you assign the new profile, the existing color values will not be changed (this is the recommended method when the existing and target color profile do not differ much). If you need to convert, you should realize that this will also change K-only based values to four-color black, so if this happens, you need to set e.g. black text back to K-only based values.

There are also other considerations (e.g., when exporting using "PDF (Press ready)", the color profile is by default embedded. If you do so, you need to ensure that in Acrobat Pro, you are using the correct target color profile to simulate the output. If there is a conflict, you will bet apparently incorrect color values. In addition, there can be issues in having placed PDFs in the document that are not compatible with the export method and which cause rasterization of such content (and accordingly recalculated color values). 

oh yes, you are right indeed.

I set those to fogra39 in acrobat, seperation looks correct. But this did never happen before. I can open older PDF no matter if set to Web (as it always is coming up in acrobat first) or fogra 27 or 39, separation shows always correct.

I did often set fogra 39 or 27 not really bothering much which one and checked with either one of the two in acrobat. Never had a difference.

seems I have to take that in account from now on.