You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Tiff files with transparency bug in Affinity Designer 2

Alex A.

Hello everybody!

I'm having a problem with opening TIFF files with transparency (rendered in Modo application, both 8-bit or 16-bit versions with alpha channel). When I drag and drop these onto Affinity Designer app, a full background is seen - as below:

screenshot_01.thumb.jpg.8368039cde5d9ddc36382ca8078d2963.jpg

Sometimes (very rarely) the TIFF file (a 16-bit version) can be opened with full transparency present but I can't see any logic when it occurs:

screenshot_02.thumb.jpg.fb7eefb3bb810c35fafdbe00a5bafad8.jpg

A similar issue has been raised and posted on the Affinity Photo 2 forum and it may be the same problem I guess:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/177248-black-background-when-open-a-transparent-tif-file-which-was-rendered-from-blender/#comment-1020204

I'm attaching the two TIFF files for further tests. If anyone has the same observation please add your comments. I use PC with Windows 10 and had no problems with transparent TIFFs when worked in the preceding version of Affinity Designer.

I'd appreciate if this could be added to the next list of patches :)

Affinity Designer app is my main design tool and I've been using it for the last 6 years.

Thanks,
Alex

test_render_8bit.tif test_render_16bit.tif

Your screenshot shows a gradient as background. Did you create this gradient in Modo?

when the issue happens, please check the channels panel, and activate every channel individually. 

How do you drag n drop the files?

• From explorer to Photo as new file?
  • From explorer to Photo as placed file?
  • Or directly from Modo to Photo (no file involved)?
  • Can you inspect the files if they contain any extra channels (beside RGB+A)?

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

It is possible to unveil the background via channels panel, alpha, fill.

But then, a white halo occurs around the ball.

Can you save the afphoto file and upload when the issue occurs, together with the placed file?

6D35B1D4-95CC-4E15-A7C2-ABB92B3DE699.thumb.png.4d41ea4c1d3a78f71033f99749c6f096.png

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

You issue seems identical to the linked thread.

on iPad, i found one workaround:

using „place“ into an exiting document handles alpha correct, whereas „open“ run into the issue. 

Hi there!

Thanks for your reply. I created the gradient in Modo but the rendering preserved the transparency so when I opened it in Affinity Designer 1, it looked good. Re. your question: I dragged the file onto Affinity Designer 2 on PC - in other words I 'opened' the file and the issue was present only when 'opening' not 'placing' the bitmap.

I previously used the workaround with 'placing' it into a document which is great after all - thanks for mentioning it as well! Of course it is the quickest solution so far! 

I played with the alpha channel in Affinity Photo but it is a bit tricky! Anyway it would be great to have the funcionality from Affinity Designer 1 brought back in Affinity Designer 2!

Thanks,
Alex

• 7 months later...
  • Staff

I think that James' recent reply here may be relevant

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon