You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Freezes when exporting a pdf

@Entrepreneur, it would be helpful to have some more information and if possible a sample file where you are experiencing the freeze along with a screen recording demonstrating the crash (if possible) so we can see your set up and PDF Export settings. If the work is of a sensitive nature the Mod team can provide a secure Dropbox link for you to upload any files with issues so they can investigate further...

Without being able to see or test the file/s it is impossible to provide any practical help...

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2402)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

Hi.

I would upload a file if the broblem would only come with a certain file but I have exporting issues with multiple affinity documents. 

I tried different export options and settings, nothing seems to be working. I have to re-install the whole thing, maybe that would help…

i have successfully exported sometimes when I open same file with photo…

I’m going on a vacation but maybe I could send a file if a have time. 

thanks.

@Entrepreneur, any file/s you are able to upload would be extremely helpful in trying to track down the cause of the issue, so if you do have time to do that prior to going on vacation that would be perfect...

If there are images, then please embed them or provide these as well as part of the upload so we can rule those in or out.

I think reinstalling the software will not make any difference and is unlikely to be the cause of the issues you are experiencing.

Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2402)

@Entrepreneur, so basically the image of the van is corrupt and this is causing the Affinity Designer file to freeze when exporting to PDF. There are two instances of the van image in your file, so I've replaced both instances with an Affinity Photo file (both layers are now highlighted in green in the Layers Panel) which is Placed in your document so you can still edit it, if required, by selecting the Placed image layer and clicking Edit Document in the Context Toolbar.

See if the attached file now works for you when exporting to PDF...

ARVONTALAPPU.afdesignVan.afphoto

• 1 month later...

Hey there! I'm having the same issue as the OP - my Affinity Designer v 2.0.4. hangs on export. PDF export freezes 3/4 of the way through and just hangs there. I had to asses slide by slide to see what was causing exporting issues. I've seem to gave narrowed it down to this - I have square and rectangular strokes in the PDF that are causing the spinning circle of death. I was able to Layer>Expand Stroke on the square ones and this allowed the export to continue. When I added the slide with the rectangular stroke, activating Layer>Expand Stroke causes the software to freeze and I am having to Force Quit Affinity. 

Ironically, I was able to pop open Affinity Designer v 1.10.5 and did not have to do any expanding of the strokes - the pdf exported without any issues at all. Can you look into this?

Hi @copernicuscalledand welcome to the forums…

Are you able to upload your Affinity Designer file so we can take a look. The square and rectangular strokes shouldn’t logically be causing the document to freeze on export to pdf and seeing the file would be help us understand what is going on…

Hi and thank you for the welcome.

At the moment, it is the Logo Colors [Artboard 8], that is causing the issues. Deleting this particular Artboard allows it to be exported out as PDF (for export) easily. Keeping it and exporting it out causes it to hang. The stroke on the black rectangle around the two logos is at 0.3, and Layer>Expand Stroke causes it to freeze. 

I appreciate you looking into it.

CH - Brand Guidelines.afdesign

Hi,

The crash is actually caused by the stroke around the two logos on the top row on Artboard 8 using a dashed rather than a solid line, if you simply change both to a solid line in the stroke panel your file will export without issue and the stroke on both logos will Expand without crashing Designer...

This is a bug in Designer 2.0.4 and something similar has been reported before relating to dashed lines causing a crash but I'll add this instance to the bug report for you.

I've attached a 'repaired' version of your file, the only change is the stroke setting on those two logos, (I've also changed the stroke setting from dashed to solid for the two logo's on the bottom row as well for 'safety', even though no stroke colour is set) but obviously you can simply make the change on your original file as well.

I hope that helps and let me know if this does indeed fix the issue for you.

CH - Brand Guidelines Repaired.afdesign