You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Mac Studio display settings

Hi everybody, I just bought a new studio display that I use in connection with a new Mac book pro. Whereas in my previous iMac I had many settings for the color like Adobe1998 or sRGB in this new I have only a series of presets. see the screen shot. I use Adobe 1998 in my cameras and wonder what should I use in these new presets. There is also an option to customize the presets but that is something I have no idea how to do. can somebody help me?

Thanks.

Screenshot 2023-01-28 at 8.46.47 PM.png

17 hours ago, v_kyr said:

Thank you but still that is belying my capacity. can anybody tell me which apple preset they use while editing and printing photos? I use a Epson P7570.

6 minutes ago, srg said:

Thank you but still that is belying my capacity. can anybody tell me which apple preset they use while editing and printing photos? I use a Epson P7570.

Would help if we knew which Mac OS you are running. That little bit of the Monitor section of the OS System preferences is like nothing I have seen so someone running the same OS as you may be able to help.

Here on OS 11.7 I have tabs for Display, Colour and (shudder) Night Shift. I would think you would need to see if there is some setting in the Colour section if there is one.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Just now, Old Bruce said:

Would help if we knew which Mac OS you are running. That little bit of the Monitor section of the OS System preferences is like nothing I have seen so someone running the same OS as you may be able to help.

Here on OS 11.7 I have tabs for Display, Colour and (shudder) Night Shift. I would think you would need to see if there is some setting in the Colour section if there is one.

These presets came out with the latest OS which is Ventura13.2. 

Honestly I don't understand where your overall problem is? - Your studio dislay monitor has already predefined presets for various tasks which are explained here (I've alredy referenced that above) ...

So if you use a default one of these here (which BTW look to offer identical settings) ...

• Apple XDR Display (P3-1600 nits)
  • Pro Display XDR (P3-1600 nits)

... you should be pretty fine. - The P3 color gamut is higher than sRGB and depending on the monitor it covers over >= 90% of the Adobe RGB color gamut.

• DCI-P3 vs Adobe RGB

A lot more colors are shared between DCI-P3 and Adobe RGB than sRGB, which was developed by Adobe. Both of these monitors have a wide range of color gamut which is a new television technology that provides more vibrant colors. This is a time to think in terms of brighter reds, greener greens, and deeper blues. DCI-P3 uses yellows and reds, whereas Adobe RGB uses blues and greens. As a video editor, you can use the former, but if you're making a film that will be shown in a theatre, you'll need DCI-P3. For picture editing and printing procedures, Adobe RGB is the best choice. There are fewer game or movie monitors that use Adobe RGB since it lacks the same multimedia potential as DCI-P3.  

• Workflow Considerations for an In-Production DCI-P3 Display

A P3 disposition is no more difficult to work with than an sRGB or Adobe RGB monitor. Your Windows or Mac system choices allow you to select a specific display profile, color-managed applications like Photoshop Lightroom, Photoshop and InDesign will automatically utilize that profile when you open those programs. P3 displays are not a problem if the chosen display profile describes them appropriately. Color-managed programs can render consistent colors on P3 settings as long as photos and other materials are marked with a suitable color profile.

In InDesign, Photoshop, or Illustrator, the Edit and Color Settings box is probably not something you want to fiddle with. Your workflow, not the monitor you're using, should dictate how you set up your Color Settings. 

When working with apps that don't use color correction, like some browsers, video editing tools, and web design software, it's a little more difficult. Using an Adobe RGB or P3 display on an application that doesn't use system-level color control may result in oversaturated colors. To limit the display's gamut to sRGB without using the computer, some wide-gamut displays have this feature built-in. Non-color-managed workflows can benefit from this technique to avoid oversaturated colors. Apple P3 displays and other wide-gamut displays do not have this option. Another solution is to use a cheap sRGB display connected to your computer to see information that is not color-managed. 

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2