You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Might have a Metadata bug

I just upgraded to AP2 earlier this week and just started using it today.

I am running it on a new 2023 MacBook Pro with Ventura OSX.

I am very impressed with the quality of the image processing, but it might have a couple of bugs.

The first thing I discovered that might be a bug is the timestamp of my raw photo in the metadata window is 7 hours off the actual data.

The date of the shot is correct, but the time of day it was taken is 7 hours off what is displayed. I have uploaded a screenshot with the metadata window circled in red. The time displayed is 3:45:43 AM. The actual time the shot was taken was 10:45:43 AM. A 7 hour difference. The time in the camera is set correctly for where I live, and I double checked it by opening the same raw file with AP version 1, and the time stamp displays correctly with version 1. So if AP2 is displaying a timestamp that is 7 hours behind the actual time taken that must be a bug in the way it is reading the metadata. I am using a Nikon D810 camera.

The 2nd issue I discovered is that when I click the develop button for developing a raw photo the color bit depth drops from 32 to 16. That did not happen in AP1. Since I need it to remain in 32bit color after clicking the develop button I have to manually convert the color depth back to 32 by going into the Document properties. I did not have to do that with AP1. So is that also a bug, or is this drop in color bit depth normal for AP2?

Wrong time of day.jpg

14 minutes ago, DeepDesertPhoto said:

The first thing I discovered that might be a bug is the timestamp of my raw photo in the metadata window is 7 hours off the actual data.

This is a known problem, Serif is working on it.

15 minutes ago, DeepDesertPhoto said:

The 2nd issue I discovered is that when I click the develop button for developing a raw photo the color bit depth drops from 32 to 16.

Open the Assistant Preferences, for the Develop Persona. There's a drop-down menu for Raw Output Format. Is it set to 16bit or 32bit?

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

3 minutes ago, Ron P. said:

This is a known problem, Serif is working on it.

Open the Assistant Preferences, for the Develop Persona. There's a drop-down menu for Raw Output Format. Is it set to 16bit or 32bit?

I went to the assistant preferences and it was set to 16 bit. I changed it to 32 bit and that did fix that problem.

I forgot about that function since it has been a few years since I needed to open it.

Anyway, thanks for the assistance on that color bit depth issue. Now I only need to wait until the timestamp problem is fixed with an update.

Your welcome :)

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

• Staff

@Ron P. do you know of a thread where we've acknowledged this? I cannot find a report in our database and I've checked a few threads for the bug report tag and cannot find anything. I'm loathed to log a duplicate report. I'm not expecting you to trawl through threads for ages but just wondered if you could find one quickly with the tag.

32 minutes ago, Chris B said:

@Ron P. do you know of a thread where we've acknowledged this? I cannot find a report in our database and I've checked a few threads for the bug report tag and cannot find anything. I'm loathed to log a duplicate report. I'm not expecting you to trawl through threads for ages but just wondered if you could find one quickly with the tag.

A basic version of the problem was fixed in 2.0.4, and is mentioned in the Release Notes  ("Improved timezone handling in Metadata panel ") but recall a later discussion about an additional aspect to the problem. I'll try to find that.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 2/2/2023 at 8:04 AM, Chris B said:

Sorry for the big delay. This is the post I was referring to.

• Staff

I've moved that linked topic to the bugs forum 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 1 month later...
On 2/3/2023 at 2:37 AM, Chris B said:

@DeepDesertPhoto Can you please attach the raw file? This likely requires a similar but slightly different fix specifically for your Nikon.

Sorry I missed your reply. I never got an email notification that I got more replies to this subject even though I have the "Follow Topic" turned on. Maybe a glitch in the system.

Anyway, was this problem fixed?

I currently have AP 2.0.4 and my latest Nikon pictures still show a 7 hour difference between the time it was taken by the camera and the time displayed by AP.

I am using a Nikon D810 camera body.

Do you still need one of my raw files to study?

13 minutes ago, DeepDesertPhoto said:

Please let me know if it has uploaded correctly.

You can tell that yourself, by looking at your post after submitting it and seeing if there is a file attached. If so, then try clicking on it to seeg if the browser asks about saving it.

(But yes, it looks like it attached properly.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

It will be fixed in a forthcoming update.

The reason it appeared to work in Affinity Photo 1 is that we did not have a proper date/time widget with user input until Affinity Photo 2. We were just showing the timestamp without any timezone information at all. It would appear to be correct, but if you went on holiday you'd soon realise that your computer local time was not being taken into consideration properly then either. ;) Times in exported data would also have had the offset.

It's just much more obvious now: the user input is interpreted as being in local time for convenience, so the whole widget must be timezone-aware.