You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hey everyone!

I was just wondering if there is an easy way or option to unpopulate/remove all placed pictures/resources from a previously defined selection of Picture Frames. Can anyone help me out and point me in the right direction? 
And if the option doesn't exist: Would this be a feature that would be handy for others as well? Or is it just me? 🥲

Edit: My current method (or the only official method?) since I was faced with a similar problem a few months ago is to use the Move Tool, double-click on the Picture Frame in question and hit delete. However, you have to be careful not to accidentally move the picture frame in the process. Alternatively, you could select them in the Layers Palette. But these methods certainly are not the most efficient, are they?

Thanks!

(Before anyone mentions Master Pages: I use them everywhere they are applicable, but the sizes of the picture frames in my current document vary too much from page to page for Master Pages to help in this case.) 😉

2023_b.png.6eb47882072cc58253b7219526339b14.png

I am not sure if I understood correctly, but if you select images within picture frames from within the Layers panel, you can unpopulate the parent picture frames simply by pressing the Del key (or choosing Delete from the context menu of the Layers panel). If you only have images within picture frames, you could first select all images in the document using Select > Select Object > Images and pressing the Del key to unpopulate all picture frames in the document.

You can also use the Resource Manager to select in one go all child images of selected picture frames and then delete the images, as shown in the clip below:

Note that picture frames do not need to be expanded, I only expand them here to show that "Locate in document" function basically switches current selection of picture frames (made e.g. with the mouse) to selection of images within picture frames.

10 hours ago, lacerto said:

You can also use the Resource Manager to select in one go all child images of selected picture frames and then delete the images, as shown in the clip below:

Note that picture frames do not need to be expanded, I only expand them here to show that "Locate in document" function basically switches current selection of picture frames (made e.g. with the mouse) to selection of images within picture frames.

Hey @lacerto – that's pretty much what I had in mind! Thank you for the clip showing how you go about it. 🤙

Sorry, actually the solution does in fact not work that easily. I overlooked yesterday that you only have one page in the document – it works great for that.

But I have a docuemtn where I continuously duplicate one of the previous sides and then adjust the picture frames – unfortunately they often contain the previous pictures. Unfortunately, these then appear bundled in the resource manager, so that your workaround no longer works properly.

A workaround for the workaround would be to load the side into a separate document, but to be honest that is too tedious for me. There must be another way to do this, or am I making a general error in my approach? Is there an option to de-bundle the images in the resource manager?

I have created an example document:TEST.afpub
Just noticed while uploading that the images are pretty huge. Oh well.

I think that there is a bug (or kind of a silly omission) in the code since if you manually expand the image groups, the Locate in document button becomes available (non-grayed out) and you can then activate the selections on the canvas and delete the images. The Locate button should be available even if the image groups are not expanded because they are actually already selected within the groups. 

I guess this is still a bit quicker than first using the context menu to expand all layers within Layers panel and then selecting image resources from within the Layers panel? I guess it much depends on whether you have the images large enough on the Layers panel so that you can recognize them from the thumbnails (note that you can change the size of the layer thumbnails).

On 1/28/2023 at 12:13 PM, Mr. Doodlezz said:

I was just wondering if there is an easy way or option to unpopulate/remove all placed pictures/resources from a previously defined selection of Picture Frames. Can anyone help me out and point me in the right direction? 

Short answer; No.

The crux of the problem is because of the Previously Defined Selection part of the question. If you have somehow selected 20 out of 50 picture frames then you'll have to go through and select each of the 20.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

8 minutes ago, anto said:

You can do it.

Solution is very simple.

Look at video. There is two ways: if you want delete all images in document or only on one page.

Ah yes! This actually works! And since V2 you don't even have to switch to the Designer Persona to use the Select Same/Select Objects feature!
The nice thing is you can even deselect single images you want to keep, that's great!

• 3 months later...